Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler size for indirect water heater

wklopf
wklopf Member Posts: 44
I'm looking to replace my boiler and water heater. My heating needs can be satisfied by a boiler of 75,000 to 80,000 BTUs. The 45 gallon indirect heater which I'm looking at lists a boiler requirement of 155,000 BTUs. My guess is that hat size boiler would provide the maximum hot water from this system, and a smaller boiler would result in a slower recovery. But, shouldn't a 45 gallon indirect with an 80,000 BTU boiler still deliver a lot more hot water than a 40 gallon water heater with 34,000 BTU input? Thanks.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Yes. It would. I'd match those two pieces with confidence.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Do you have mixing valve installed on your tank? if yes, than 45 gallons of 140F will produce 45/1.25x140/125= 40 gallons 125F water. As example, 2.5 gallons per minute shower, 40/2.5 x125/100 = 20 minutes of shower. To re-heat tank from 45F cold water back to 140F, you will need (140-45)x 8.33x40=31,654 btu. boiler with input 80.000 btu hr, will output 80.000x.8=64,000 btu hr. so it will take about 30 minutes to reheat the tank. If you need to cut recovery time you will need higher output boiler. 155.000 btuhr boiler will recover tank in 15 minutes, if tank will allow it. In simple terms, that's my 2 cents.
    cnmdesign
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Recovery time with 80k boiler and 45 gallon indirect will be fine, just a little slower than the larger boiler specs they give.
    Our 40 gal indirect w/ 110k boiler set at 150 degrees when making DHW recovers in 12-15 minutes after a large demand like two showers and breakfast cleanup.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Another option and money savings is go with a 30 gallon indirect and store high and mix down. it will give you more hot water then a 40 standard tank all day long. What is your hot water demands?
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The only concern I would have with this is if the boiler is non condensing and you have no control over the flow from the boiler, you could cause the boiler to condense.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Higher tank temperatures, around 150F will also assure no bacteria can grow. Higher operating temperatures does shorten the tank life however. More mineral precipitation as temperatures increase and thermal expansion and contraction of the tank at higher ∆ operation.

Public buildings, and possibly residential will require above 140F recirculated once a day to protect against legionella growth. I think the VA recently added that requirement in their buildings.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jells
    Jells Member Posts: 566
    Little late here, but something I found increased my indirect recovery time dramatically was to use a full port zone valve. I was thinking I had to replumb the whole manifold to 1", but the valve did it. My supplier had sold me a priority controller that cut off the other zones when the tank was calling, but it took so long the house was getting cold! I also use a programmable thermostat with a 15 degree spread so in summer the passive loss is low enough the boiler stays off all day when no one's using hot water.
    cnmdesign
  • My little 50,000 BTU Munchkin takes about 20 minutes to recharge our Viessmann 50 gallon indirect. But there are only two of us in the house with one bathroom. That calculus changes when there are more bathrooms and more people.

If everyone wants to shower at close intervals, you have to get a larger indirect. Or just get an on-demand water heater that can handle peak flow.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • cnmdesign
    cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
    Too bad doubling up on showers does not double your hot water. :p
    Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
    www.afinalsalute.com