Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water heating in the sticks?

jumper
jumper Member Posts: 2,228
No electric service.
How about a thermal solar collector being the heat source for a PV powered heat pump?
Does anyone sell a panel integrating the collector with the PV cell?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Interesting idea. And no, I don't know of an integrated collector! But.. is this new construction? Unless you are looking at a truly lamentable climate, you can probably get almost all the domestic space heat you need with proper solar design of the building itself.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Do you have LP gas? If so there is a tankless WH that Bosch made that would heat water w/o a pilot. Vented through b-vent. The spark was hydro-generated.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    No electric service in "the sticks" ?

Wood fired steam sounds good to me.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    jumper said:

No electric service.
    How about a thermal solar collector being the heat source for a PV powered heat pump?
    Does anyone sell a panel integrating the collector with the PV cell?

There were a few hybrid panels on the market back in 2007 & 08. Not very cost effective however, PV modules are so cheap now. Usually a small 20W is all you need to run a B&G/ Laing solar pump.

There were a few companies that had a kit to add thermal to the back of PV modules. the claim was they cooled the PV in the summer for additional efficiencies. I think www.sundrumsolar.com is still offering that mash up.

Easy enough to build your own, I suppose.

northburnsolar.co.uk is a PV-T heat pump player, also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    Thank you for the responses. Strictly an outdoor shower in the middle of nowhere.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    jumper said:

Thank you for the responses. Strictly an outdoor shower in the middle of nowhere.

Ah an outdoor SHOWER.
    My assumption was heat.

I've seen outdoor shower heaters that run on propane. not sure if you could get enough flow via solar unless it was an elaborate setup?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The campground at the MREA in Wisconsin has a trailer like this, showers only version. Tankless LP units I suspect.

I've also seen some solar assisted versions.

https://royalrestrooms.com/portable-showers/eight-stall-shower-trailer/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England