Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best high-temp aluminum foil tape

Options
D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
Suggestions on brands and where to buy? Need for breeching extra sealing, covering breeching test holes, etc. So far Heat Shield product 340110 seems best--up to 1000 degrees.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    I try to stay away from foil tape unless absolutely necessary for temporary repairs and such. 3 screws in each joint and furnace cement at the breach.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    High temp foil tapes seem to have a bad rep and I'm not sure if it's justified.

I put 3M high temp foil tape over some test holes on and near my drafthood a few years back and not only did it not fall off, it's extremely hard to get off, almost like the glue cured with heat.

The cheap stuff falls off, just as with "duct tape" but that doesn't mean good products will fail.

When you start spending $30-40 on a small roll of tape, the quality isn't the same as cheap stuff.

@Dave0176 All of the ones I've found are rated up to 600F continuous. That isn't high enough?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    D107
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Options
    @ChrisJ, thanks, yes 600 is plenty high for temps that rarely go over 300. The particular one I found happened to go to 1000; another one only to 260. Just looking for a few brands, have only found two so far. Some good chimney guys prefer not to use any foil tape permanently. I sort of agree and would be using this temporarily or only to cover test holes.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    For me with oil, I have a box of bolts I'll thread into the test port. I pretty much only use hi temp sealant for flues and save the foil tape for fixing some existing poor duct work.
    steve
    D107
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA Have you tried 3M's high temperature flue tape, which is rated to 600F, the same as red RTV?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    D107
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

@STEVEusaPA Have you tried 3M's high temperature flue tape, which is rated to 600F, the same as red RTV?

Sure, I have a roll.

steve
  • ChrisJ
    Options

ChrisJ said:

Sure, I have a roll.

Don't tell me you use that on duct work..........
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Google aviation speed tape...
    D107
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,248
    Options
    3M makes good stuff.
    D107
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I beleive there were issues with the fumes the foil tape gave off as it burnt off ... Someone once told me the foil tape was first used to repair bullet holes in war aircraft ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    D107
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    They definity use it on aircraft on non critical areas, but it's is never used on a presurized fuselage...normally it's to cover a recent fill It patch, or a part of the aircraft non critical to flight...Its not the best thing and it's flight hour limited..
    Big Ed_4
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    I have some foil tape stuck on a glass skylight, and I am wondering how to get it off. Maybe using a heat gun would not be the best way, if the adhesive is cured with heat.
    Any suggestions?--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    WD-40 is often recommended.
    Next would be "Goo Gone"
    Then sometimes I try PVC cleaner.
    Any of those might soften it up and then a razor blade scrapper might finish it.
    This is assuming it is real glass.
    Canucker