Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sealer needed for plastic drain pan

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
looking for recommendations on a temporary sealer for a plastic drain pan that is in a five ton Trane air handler model# 4tec3f60, installed in the upright position. The pan has already been replaced about five years ago, and now it has cracked again. I have used in the past with not good results at all the Nucalgon product cal spray. i was posting to see if anyone had good luck with something else.I plan on replacing the pan, but was looking for something to get the customer through until when the part arrives Thanks to all.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I've had good luck with diversatech aluminum silicone adhering to plastic and metal.
  • Mike
    Mike Member Posts: 94
    I've had good results using the rubber roofing repair tapes. Dry and clean the area, over size the patch, and press the patch into place. It may get you through the season. Provided you can get to the crack.
    zepfan
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have used duct sealer mastic, the type you paint on with brush or foam sponge. Just a long dry time involved. I used heat gun to help cure. It claims to be waterproof and seemed to be so.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    off subject but, i have used radiator sealer on a metal pan before with good results
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    zepfan
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Are any of these pans PVC by any chance?

The one I have is a grey color, a lot like PVC electrical conduit
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    zepfan
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Seal crack with tape. Coat pan with siliconized flat roof coating. Then coat with silicone roof water proofing. Then recoat with siliconized acrylic flat roof coating. Your pan will outlast your evaporator. At least you hope it will.
    zepfan
  • Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 221
    They sell some stuff on TV. Some guy put a screen door in the bottom of a row boat, and sealed it. :D:D
    HVACNUTzepfan