Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

underground Galvy

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
Looking at NFPA 54 they still allow gas piping underground using galvanized steel piping. Would that be any different w/ LP gas?
I would use the ConStab set up but the tees outrageously expensive.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    This is an older version of NPGA 4001, it does allow galvanized pipe. Possibly some local codes might have an addendum preventing it. Local LP providers would have the best answer.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    Options
    Thank you much HR.
    This town in Maine has little in terms of regulation.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Small OD soft copper, (Type L or K) will carry a lot of LP at the higher pressure of 10 PSI or so to the 2nd ounces regulator on the structure. Sleeve both ends above ground to protect from weed eater etc.

I have seen a few 50-60 year old LP installs. Always too small of a copper, one reg at tank....equipment was not fussy then...nor were the customers....relight pilots...no big deal. But the one case with galv fittings the furnace gas valve inlet screen was nearly plugged with flakes of some sort. Never saw this with all copper. FWIW
    kcoppdanFromNJ
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Old galvanized was a real problem with small pieces flaking off and plugging up pilots. We never allowed it on our lines or in house piping. We also did not like copper tubing for gas pilot lines preferred the aluminum tubing.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What makes the aluminum better than the copper?
  • kcopp
    Options
    I believe its because of the flaking issue again. Also I think it is less prone to corrosion if the sulfur content of the gas is higher....
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    One of the problems with any metal pipe underground is electrolysis causing corrosion of the pipe. It needs to be wrapped or protected by an anode system to prevent corrosion. Utilities today are running plastic pipe for mains and services which eliminates the corrosion issue.
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    Options
    I just wish the tees were more reasonable in cost.... $$$!!