Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex tubing from the internet. Is it the same ?

Options
johnfaccio
johnfaccio Member Posts: 10
I see 1/2 pex tubing with barrier on the internet for half the cost of my supplier. I tipically buy Viega brand tubing. Has anyone who is an installing contractor used the internet tubing for any jobs in cement and if so any feedback you can give would be appreciated. I am doing a 3800 sq / ft house all radiant and the difference in cost of tubing is substantial but I am a cautious person and change is not what I normally do. I don't want any unexpected problems down the road. Any input is welcomed.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,207
    Options
    Anytime you bury tube in concrete I'd stick with a brand name that has a reputation, track record and ability to cover any warranty issues.
    I'm not sure all the import tube has legal or appropriate listings, and is extruded accurately. Is the $$ difference worth the potential risk?

I see more and more PERT tube being used, maybe that would be worth looking into from a brand name manufacturer, to shave some bucks?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Greg_23
  • johnfaccio
    Options
    Agreed brand name always better.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Internet tubing is pretty general in scope . Whose tubing is it , is there a brand ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    If I were you stick with a name brand with a good warranty and from a wholesaler who stocks it and is willing to go to bat for you if there is a problem down the road. You can always find cheaper pex tubing but is it made to the same standard as Viega or other name brands. Remember the cheap drywall from over sea that had lead in the drywall. Was it worth the lower price when someone's family is at risk? You install it and it fails and you end up in court and look over there the pex tubing manufacture is out of business looks like the home owners lawyers are coming after you.
    Greg_23wholesalerbill
  • johnfaccio
    Options
    No name brands that I ever heard of. I beat myself up every time I'm buying a good amount of pex and look on the internet and see the prices and never ever had the guts to try it. I hear other contractors say they buy from internet and just wondered if it was that much different.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    From what I've seen on just about everything "made in China" is substantially cheaper price and substantially lower quality control/material quality. Remember all the threads about pex splitting open and soaking a house? Kitec I think? Made in China. Not worth the risk, I certainly wouldn't put it in my own house, so I defiantly wouldn't put it in someone else's.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Also, make sure it is pex-a instead of pex-b. If you kink pex-b, you have to cut out the kinked section and put in a coupler to repair it. I would hate to have a coupler in my slab. With pex-a, you can heat it up and it will repair itself, in a way.
    Rick
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Iron Man you sir are right on...love the walmart statement
  • wholesalerbill
    wholesalerbill Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Working in sales for a Jersey wholesaler, when customers call me and tell me they can get 'it' cheaper on the internet, my response is go ahead, but don't call me for technical advice, when the pex you got cheaper fails, or any other problems that arise. Call the internet for technical advice. HAHAHA. There's a reason why we cost a little bit more. It's for our knowledge and expertise and hands on help, and selling proven name manufacturer products. In my company we're not order takers. We're sales and technical support. I go out to jobs to help contractors all the time. Try getting that on the internet.
  • Greg_23
    Greg_23 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    When someone asks me for a price per foot on pex for a job, I always remind them that will need a lot of couplings because I don't price it by the foot. I price the whole job
  • heatboss
    heatboss Member Posts: 5
    Options
    We went down this road with mini splits, customers finding name brand units from internet suppliers 20-30% cheaper. I've always told them if that's what they want then they can purchase it directly and deal with any issues after the install as most mfg's have a statement right in their website stating that they don't warranty nor approve any web sales. So brand name or not that to me would be crucial!