Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fire Hazards regarding Heating Pipes and Drywall in a Basement Remodel

mae613
mae613 Member Posts: 1
Hi! I am currently finishing my basement in a home in Chicago that I believe has hot water heating (we have radiators, and there's that tank thing connected to boiler).

We are leaving the pipes exposed and un-insulated (they were exposed and un-insulated before, and while I understand the benefits of insulating the pipes in regards to upstairs heat, we want to leave them exposed so that way the basement gets some heat - we are putting in a playroom, bathroom, storage closets and bedroom for when my in laws come to visit).

Now that the drywall is up (sheetrock firecode 30) - I see in some cases it is extremely close to the pipes (less then 1/4 inch) or is even in direct contact with drywall, like where we built closets and walls the pipe goes directly through the drywall. We spoke to our contractor, who seems competent and cares about safety,who does not believe this to be a fire concern, but to appease us said he would make gaps 1/4 inch around pipes and cover with escutcheons, to minimize areas of direct contact.

I wanted to know if anyone has ever had this issue when finishing a basement and what they did. Pipes coming in direct contact with drywall should not be a fire hazard? I know that the temperature of the pipes would never be the point of ignition, but wanted to ask for peace of mind. Thank you.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Not an issue w/ regard to fire. The only issue may be the expansion contraction if the piping contacts the drywall and the creaking if the pipe rub up against the drywall or wood.
    ZmanCanuckerdelta Trick in Alaska
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    kcopp said: not an issue w/ regard to fire. The only issue may be the expansion contraction if the piping contacts the drywall and the creaking if the pipe rub up against the drywall or wood.

i agree with this, if your flue went through a wall then you would have a fire code issue but pipes not an issue
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Remember, those pipes are carrying water that is less than boiling hot. Not a fire hazard.