Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Noise

bethbrownlow
bethbrownlow Member Posts: 2
My Lochinvar boiler makes a foghorn noise when heating up. Is there a part which requires cleaning to prevent the vibration-generated noise?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    What model Lochinvar is it?
    Some of their high efficiency models will make that noise if the combustion is not correctly tuned.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Do a search on The Wall for "foghorn".... it's generally due to one easily correctable condition.
    Ironman
  • bethbrownlow
    bethbrownlow Member Posts: 2
    My Lochinvar Model number is WHN155.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    A qualified tech with a combustion analyzer should be able to make the noise go away on that model.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Again, a QUALIFIED tech with a digital combustion analyzer. The throttle needs to be adjusted to allow the highest Co2 level allowed in the manufacturer's instructions.

If there's CSST (flex) running to the boiler, that will also cause it.

Try having the combustion adjusted as outlined above. If that doesn't fix it, have the CSST replaced with the next largest size or re-piped from the boiler back with black iron for 10 feet.

The CSST causes a harmonic issue with negative pressure gas burners like yours. I've post previously in detail about this.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Gordy
  • I've also heard the foghorn, caused when the exhaust pipe is not sloped properly and water collects in the flue. Check your slope and make sure all the piping slopes back to the boiler.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Boon
    Boon Member Posts: 260
    @bethbrownlow did you get your issue fixed?
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.