Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advice on new boiler install

Options
jjn7834
jjn7834 Member Posts: 1
We are getting ready to replace an aging Weil McClain GV boiler with a new boiler and indirect hot water tank. I have narrowed my choice down to either a Navien NHB-80 or a HTP UFT-80, I really like the HTP but Naviens are the most popular in my area which I think is important in the years to come for service and support. I have spoken to 3 HVAC firms that all seem to have good rating on Angie's list and all seen knowledgeable, cost is not an issue they all seem reasonable. I have attached pictures from the contractor that I feel the most comfortable with. He indicated our installation will be fairly similar to the pictures below with the exception of we will have 2 heating zones and the indirect hot water tank, the tankless system was already in place when they replaced the boiler in the example. My question is does this look like a proper install and everything piped correctly? The same contractor has also mentioned going with an HTP EFTC-199F which is a floor standing combi with a built in 15 gallon indirect tank which would be great because I could use the space he said the only disadvantage is that it will only modulate down to 19.9 btu vs 8k for the Navien, He mentioned pricing would be very similar because it is less complicated to pipe. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Your thoughts would be appreciated you guys seem to have a wealth of knowledge.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    End of that vertical manifold should be capped and zones should come off the side . Would also like to see the expansion tank and make up water connected to the supply between the boiler and Separator . Other than those 2 non deal breakers it does not look terrible
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Gordy
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    If the X tank is connected on the boiler side, then it's in the correct place since it allows the boiler circulator to "pump away" from it. The secondary "sees" the entire primary as the PONPC in this scenario.

The install looks good over all. That's without scrutinizing it.

Did any of the contractors do a heat loss calc and radiation survey?

The UFT Fire tube is a superior design. In fact, Navien is soon to come out with a fire tube HX.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    jonny88Zman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,536
    Options
    Looks like he knows what he is doing. If he has pictures of his work that he wants to show that is a good sign
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It doesn't matter with a low loss header. See my previous comment.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    edited May 2017
    Options
    boiler pump should be rotated with motor horizontal. The fill and back flow ideally should be mounted horizontally line.

Exp tank is fine at that connection point. I like to see a magnetic seperator with any ECM circulator. A nice looking installation.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Take a look at the new Lochinvar Noble condensing combi boiler.
    It has a SS fire tube heat exchanger with a plate heat exchanger for domestic hot water.
    Three sizes
    110,000 BTU that delivers 2.6 GPM domestic hot water
    150,000 BTU that delivers 3.8 GPM domestic hot water
    199,000 BTU that delivers 4.8 GPM domestic hot water
    If you need a higher domestic hot water out put you can install a higher BTU boiler and then down fire the boiler for the heating BTU needed for your house and when there is a call for domestic hot water the boiler will fire up to high fire to produce your domestic hot water. Very competitive condensing gas combi boiler. Lochinvar is known for quality boiler and water heating equipment.
  • JharrisSeattle
    JharrisSeattle Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I cannot comment on the appliance specified by the contractor. It seems similar to the vitodens 222 that we use which has served us well in the past. As far as the installation pics, the unit is very nicely piped with a few minor errors that i would change. The pump on the return definanatly needs the motor to be rotated as others have noted. The relief to the condensate pump is not allowed in my area. (The pump will never keep up) and it appears the condensate from the unit appears to be piped in copper to the condensate pump. Needs to be plastic pipe. Give it 5 years and that customer is going to have a puddle on the floor.
    j a_2