Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Line set supports?

Curious what guys have done to hang lineset without crushing the foam insulation?

I'm considering grey PVC conduit, cut into 6" or even 12" sections that should side easily over the insulation and then 1" band iron around that to rafters.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Something like this is one of the methods we use. Not quite as big, however, & more often use teardrop hangers, but pretty similar. You should be able to source them from an insulation place.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    ratio said:

Something like this is one of the methods we use. Not quite as big, however, & more often use teardrop hangers, but pretty similar. You should be able to source them from an insulation place.

This is similar to what I have been considering making out of 3" 26 gauge round duct.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    That would work too I guess. We use the manufactured ones. It's sometimes hard to coordinate all the sizes (Armaflex OD, saddle, hanger, sleeve, etc.), but it looks good when it's done. I'll put a touch of Armaflex glue on the saddle to keep it in place of necessary. Two hole strappies will work also if you're running parallel against the framing.
    ChrisJ
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I like your PVC pipe idea. You can buy two hole straps for whatever pipe size you choose will look better than the band iron or use minerlac electrical clamps that can be attached with wood screws

The minerlac come with 1/4" holes but I have drilled them out to 3/8" so you can use 3/8threaded rod with base plates or whatever.to attach to the structure

use 3/8 nut with 9/16 hex they fit in the minerlac better than the 11/16 hex
    ChrisJ
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    If you use PVC or metal sleeves Sioux Chief has some handy hangers.

I use them in my shop to hang cords and air hoses.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Wood I just use 1 1/4" two hole strap .. Across an ceiling or cement Kendorf and insulated clamps
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    ChrisJ
  • ratio
    1¼? Those will compress the insulation around the suction line, resulting in a LOSS OF CAPACITY. No way ChrisJ would do that. ;););)
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    That's my biggest concern.

First rule of insulation in my house. We don't compress the insulation. :p

One thing I'm unsure of is if 2.5" PVC is big enough for my 3/4" thick 7/8 insulation. If I did my math right, it's 0.75 x 3 = 2.25". That may be a big tight to slide 2.4 or 2.5" sleeves over especially if the pipe isn't perfectly straight.

But I'm not a perfectionist.
    ratioCanucker
  • ChrisJ
    And, I didn't do my math right.
    7/8" line is 3/4" ID.

2.4" OD.
    That'd be pretty tight..............
  • ratio
    Baby powder...
    ChrisJMilanD
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Just use zip ties. Lol.
  • ChrisJ
    njtommy said:

Just use zip ties. Lol.

I take back my happy birthday. :p
    njtommy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    3" PVC is a common size, I'm not sure if 3" SDR 35 is available but thin walled PVC duct pipe is. If cost is the concern.

3" aluminum vent pipe is another readily available inexpensive saddle material.

My local insulation supplier has a small metal roller and he makes his own saddles from flashing aluminum roll material.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    TG you fixed the grievous math error. I wasn't going to let the 1/8" slide.
    ChrisJ
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Cooper industries has some nice stuff.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Spare piece of armor flex same wall thickness goes on the hanger