Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The significance of the fire

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited April 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
The significance of the fire

Heating in Ireland

Read the full story here

Comments

• Michael Dilling
    Michael Dilling Member Posts: 10
    We have truly lost a great deal as our society has "advanced" What is the price we have paid for the progress? We don't really know the members of our families anymore. Today people sit in the same room and text each other instead of talk to each other. I'll take the peat fire any day!!
    WayneMech
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Yes
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I know of nothing -- nothing at all -- better than the gentle smell of wood smoke on an autumn evening, reminding me that there is a place to be.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_ManWayneMech
  • DanHolohan
    Beautifully said, Jamie.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    We have a fire pit out back, it'll eat a 48" pallet whole. Not quite the same as a peat fire, but it brings us together. In more ways than one—we're going out this morning to cut firewood & grind stumps.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    There is something to an open fire. The smell, the romance of the flicker. Have never had the privilege of burning "black earth" or tasting the aroma of it. My grandparents had a big heavy iron stove in their kitchen which had perpetual fire all winter. I have many fond memories of the story telling around the kitchen table with that warm radiation at my back.

Wood is my Maine ;) fuel. Love burning minimally processed fuel that can be had for free. But boilers (wood) simply don't have the romance that an open fire does, or even a glass front stove.

Love the stories @Dan Holohan one day my wife and I will visit our roots in Ireland and Scotland.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • DanHolohan
    Well said! Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.