Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

low voltage wiring question

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
Does 12VDC wiring in a RV or tiny home need to be in conduit? Seems like NEC 2017 tried to clarify that, anybody have the art # or section? thanks
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I believe it depends upon the connected wattage, but I will defer to a watthead for a correct answer.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Don't have the 2017 yet. But any RV I have seen does not have conduit for conductors. Just wiring as any motor vehicle would have. Common sense should prevail for protection of wires though. However stranded wire is always used due to vibration.
    As ME mentioned the wattage, #10 AWG @ 30 amps would only deliver 360 watts comfortably.
    Even the 120VAC wiring is just Romex type cable, only stranded wires, maybe called boat wiring cable? FWIW
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    I once saw an old work receptacle, used for RVs. I should have bought it. It was just like it sounds, mounted in the plaster ears were old work dogs. :fearful:
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Don't have the 2017 yet. But any RV I have seen does not have conduit for conductors. Just wiring as any motor vehicle would have. Common sense should prevail for protection of wires though. However stranded wire is always used due to vibration.
    As ME mentioned the wattage, #10 AWG @ 30 amps would only deliver 360 watts comfortably.
    Even the 120VAC wiring is just Romex type cable, only stranded wires, maybe called boat wiring cable? FWIW

That was my thought also, RV wiring. I used #10 fine stranded Southward brand low voltage wire. It is sold for outdoor low voltage lighting, rated to 30V.

5A fuse on all the receptacles which are cigarette lighter type plugs used in the marine industry. 30A fuse on the battery feed to fuseblock with #8 wire.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Conduit would only be needed for physical protection. Just cannot run conductors of different voltages in the same conduit, although there are exceptions to that rule.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It's covered in article 551.47 of the NEC. My most recent copy is the 2011 edition. I'm not sure if the 2017 is available yet, and if it is, it's doubtful that it's been adopted by your state yet. They all vary on that, so you would have to confirm that.

In the 2011, I see no such requirement. The best source for a definitive answer is Mike Holt.
    Mikeholt.com
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.