Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air check valve after garber filter?

wmechanic01
wmechanic01 Member Posts: 26
So I had the issue with a suction leak , return line was submerged to bottom about 1" above suction , new tank , 55 foot run ,3 ft lift , and I had quick burst of air at beginning of cycle. Well the tech/company put a air check valve on after the filter about 3 ft away from burner. Yippie problem solved obviously a suction leak, however I hear the valve rattling when I get close to it about atleast 5 foot away nothing serious but is this ok I know it's a band aid. Will this kill a new pump or cause a leak of any sort? I've had enough issues and would like to be able to sleep at night!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Can you take a picture of the new check valve and the piping near the burner?? This is not making sense to me
  • wmechanic01
    Like I said this is a mobile home( trailer) filter is in crawl space under home under burner
    jfulmer
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Yeah that's wrong. I kinda thought you received all the proper advice from your last thread. Especially the 'no check valves' & fix the suction leaks.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @STEVEusaPA said:
    > Yeah that's wrong. I kinda thought you received all the proper advice from your last thread. Especially the 'no check valves' & fix the suction leaks.

>>exactly right. There's a bad flare somewhere.
    Also, I never installed an oil filter in the crawl space under a mobile home.
    It's a tight fit in the Miller furnace cabinet, but I come up with the suction line and install the filter in the top left of the cabinet, then loop the line around clockwise to the pump.
    I'd be pissed if I had to crawl under there at 3 a.m. in February with 2 feet of snow on the ground.
  • wmechanic01
    Well like I said the company is who decided. They check all flares pulled all the connections apart and said there good. The theory I was given was it's a long run and the Roth tanks can be tricky. Going from a bottom feed gravity tank to a top feed tank seems to be the culprit I'm told. The amount of air was minimal and it's a low flow rate application. It was loosing suction Not a lot but enough to hear slight hiccups at first. They stated we're gonna try a check valve after the filter and it worked. Now I know from what all your insight says and it was all great info, but the valve chatters I'm assuming this is because of the low flow rate or as stated before a suction leak . I'm told it's the lift situation.so is the valve gonna crap out and if it does a tigerloop will be installed no questions asked . Thanks
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Excuses excuses excuses. If all the flares and other connections really were good, you'd not have a problem. However... if the company is not going to be helpful about actually fixing the problem, I hope that they will be willing to come back at Oh Dark Hundred some winter morning at 20 below and get you going again...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    No substitute for a tight suction line. Nothing else to say other than I dislike the firomatic check valve as they are very restrictive