Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laser level

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
Can anyone recommend a laser level that they've used and liked? It's not for piping. I'll be using it to drop a ceiling at my oldest daughter's house. I'm removing the collar ties and replacing them with ceiling joists. Thanks.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I used one of these for re-pitching a condensate line, worked pretty good. It's big brother comes in a kit with a grid clamp IIRC.
    Tinman
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    If it's a one timer just rent one Stephen. However if you have other uses. The green projecting laser levels are much more visible than red in brighter lighting.
    Tinmandelta T
  • Tinman
    @Gordy - Good to know. I'm sure I'll find many uses for it :)
    Steve Minnich
  • dooododoo
    dooododoo Member Posts: 25
    I bought this one about 5 years ago. DeWalt DW088K http://amzn.to/2jbFz5x (Mine is actually a DW087K) Paid around $125 back then, and that's why I got it as it was one of the least expensive but decent level available. Actually turned out to be a great buy; have been using it exclusively since then. It's well built, accurate, and easy to use.
    Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Go green! I'm waiting for the pice to drop on Dewalt DW089LG. It seems to be one of the top green lasers.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Yes green is pricey, but less frustrating in brighter lighting.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    I've only used red lasers, but I have had a PLS2 for probably 10 years. It does a single level line, a single plumb line or crossed vert & plumb. I don't use it daily, but it has been through a lot and held up well.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I'll second the PLS2 they are good.

I have a Johnson laser now it's red projects a dot or vertical and/or horizontal line, self leveling works good. Still finding more uses for it

Gives me the ability to measure up piping jobs by myself.

And you don't have to wait for the plumb bob to stop bouncing!!!!!

Tinman
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Cheapest on I found was clear plastic tube and filled with water. Lol
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    And it goes around corners!
    Rick
    ratioCanucker
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GLL-2-20-360-Degree-Self-Leveling/dp/B00SWIH9N8

Bosch GLL 2-20 360-Degree Self-Leveling Line and Cross Laser
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Gordy
    edited January 2017
    No, but does vertical also. 360 not a must.
  • ChrisJ
    Gordy said:

No, but does vertical also. 360 not a must.

360 is a huge bonus when you're doing ceilings.
    YUGE!
  • Gordy
    Not really. Gotta think about the tool, and how to use it. Ceilings may be a one time gig for Stephen.

Now if we are out in the field shooting grades yes.
  • Tinman
    @ChrisJ - Did you just say "Yuge"?
    Steve Minnich
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2017

@ChrisJ - Did you just say "Yuge"?

Yes,
    I used it as sarcasm.

Similar to when I use "Cash me ousside" now.

Tinman
  • BornForDying
    BornForDying Member Posts: 40
    > @ChrisJ said:
    > YUGE!

We now know your true identity!

https://youtu.be/DXRaboSo70A
    CanuckerGordy
  • rick in Alaska
    Stephan Minnich. When I said it would go around corners, I meant the water level JA mentioned.
    Rick
  • Tinman
    @rick in Alaska That was my FAT fingers again. I didn't really disagree.
    Steve Minnich
    rick in Alaska
  • Gordy
    Actually a water level is more accurate, and at far greater distances. I enjoy using old school. If you have the time.
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2017
    Yes.
    That's exactly what @Stephen Minnich is looking for. He wants to carry a huge spool of tubing and a bunch of bottles of water around.

We can tell by the title of this thread. You know, where it says "LaserWater Level" ?
    Bob Bona_4
  • rick in Alaska
    They definitely have their place. Not so good in the winter, unless you antifreeze them. But, they are accurate, as long as you get all the air bubbles out.
    Rick
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    It's actually fun to send apprentices after...........
    Canucker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    getting the bubbles out is a problem
  • Gordy
    Alcohol. Whiskey for when the job is done. Easy to see.......before the job is done.
  • ChrisJ
    Gordy said:

Alcohol. Whiskey for when the job is done. Easy to see.......before the job is done.

They used to call levels Whiskey sticks. So I've been told.
  • Gordy
    Very true.