Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot lights okay, but burner won't turn on

Edwinjcb
Edwinjcb Member Posts: 2
I just installed a gas valve on a wall heater. Robert Shaw 710 502. I can get the pilot to light just fine, but can't get the main burner to fire up. It was working on the old valve, unit it wore out on me. The Robert Shaw is a used valve which I'm told was working when it was removed. Wiring appears correct. The fact the pilot light works leads me to believe the thermopile is okay. Any ideas from anyone? Otherwise, I'm going to conclude the gas valve is bad.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Did you turn the main power switch back on? Is there a tiny switch on the gas valve itself that is switched off? What brand/model is the heater?
    rick in Alaska
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    check your millivolts prior to condemning the valve.
  • Edwinjcb
    Edwinjcb Member Posts: 2
    there is no tiny switch on the gas valve. I'm jumping the two screws at the thermostat, which eliminates a possibly bad thermostat. where do I check the millivolts? on the thermopile? Is it possible the thermopile is bad so it's preventing the gas valve from sending gas to the burners?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Is this a 750 millivolt system? If it is then you need to do a complete diagnosis.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Go to before you ask and click the second "here" and look for my ugly face the procedure for checking millivolts is there.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Is the knob on the gas valve turned to "ON" position and not the "Pilot" position?
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Used gas valve? Not a real good idea....jmo....