Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Universal replacement boards for modern furnaces

I'm trying to stock the right stuff in our inventory, any service gurus out there? What units do you keep on your truck?

Recently we used the W-R 50A55-843 with success. I'm hoping someone can chime in and save me some time studying the ins and outs.

We have the HW S8610U and the HWS9200U as well.

Thanks for any comments
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Between the W-R and the 9200, you have a lot of units covered. Still mfrs. find ways to make a slight modification to make "universal" boards not work on theirs. We don't keep boards on the trucks but have parts for our brands plus those universals in our office.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Gary I will put a list of what is out there together for you and e-mail it to you. These Universal controls obviously must be compared to a cross reference list. Which is typically available on line or is in the box with the control. By the way anything from White Rodgers with 843 as the last numbers is a Universal replacement.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Thanks Tim, yes I guess my general question is:

do some of these Universals cross over each other?? I presume the answer is yes.

what is the 'fewest' controls you would have with you? I am guessing 3 or 4, just my guess.

Thanks for the help.

gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tim McElwain
    Yes they do both cover each others OEM controls. I tell techs to carry what will cover the most controls. When I e-mail you I will give you the breakdown on each control. For example with Honeywell One control covers all Integrated Furnace Controls from a number of manufacturers. They also have a Universal Electronic Fan Timers which cover everything from Honeywell except their board for the two stage Smart Valve.

White Rodgers is a little more selective with Universal replacement controls.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Generally I'm a small government advocate. But when OEMs modify components only because they think (possibly incorrectly) they can profit on replacements.....
  • GW
    Ok great, I haven't heard of Honeywell One . Thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tim McElwain
    @jumper Universal replacements are not because OEMs are looking to make money in fact OEMs do not sell Universal replacements control companies do. They are designed to make the service techs job easier. Instead of carrying hundreds of controls you can carry one which replaces hundreds.
  • GW
    Tim Is there a simplistic way to define the different families of furnace control?

I see that smart valve requires its own board, I probably won't try to stop anything for smart valve

All others can get by with a Honeywell One?

If no, what general factors kick in?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tim McElwain
    Yes Integrated Furnace Controls which combine the function of a Electric Ignition Module and a Electronic Fan Timer. The other is the Electronic Fan Timer whose main function is to control the operation of the system fan. A separate ignition package is required with the EFT.

The Universal Honeywell EFT covers all of Honeywells EFT's including the one for Smart Valve. It does not however replace the ST9162 series which is for the Two Stage Honeywell Smart Valve.

So the Honeywell S9200U-1000 is the Universal Integrated Furnace Control replacement. It replaces United Technologies, Rheem/Robertshaw, Nordyne, Texas Instrument, York, Lennox, White-Rodgers, Goodman and ICM.

The Universal Electronic Fan Timer is the ST9120U - 1003 it replaces 25 Honeywell Controls, central wiring for most of the components on the furnace, controls heat and cooling and constant fan applications, runs the induced draft blower and the circulating fan, monitors limits and other controls, has a field replaceable fuse and dip switch settings to control fan on and off times.

Now I do not have to e-mail you Honeywell. I will however e-mail you info about White Rodgers.
  • GW
    very good thanks Tim
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com