Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help! I have no heat upstairs!

Hi. My house is only 2 1/2 yrs old, practically brand new. For the past two days, I haven't had heat in the upstairs part of the house. I have radiant heating and heat with propane. I've made sure there is still propane in the tanks and the relay switch box has "zone 2" light on. I have tried to reset the water heater to no avail. There is plenty of heat downstairs and we have hot water in the sinks and showers, just no heat. The floors are freezing and the heat won't go higher than 60 degrees no matter what I set the thermostat on. Help!

Comments

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    It sounds like a zone valve or actuator not opening. You may need to get a technician in there to take a look. Alot of time with radiant floor heating, there can be lots of actuators and determining which one is not opening will take some detective work.

Dave H.
    Dave H
    KimGonzalez
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    I'd suggest you contact a professional, because of the weather conditions. Once everything is running, then take the time to learn as much as possible about your system.
    KimGonzalez
  • KimGonzalez
    KimGonzalez Member Posts: 5
    Dave H, do you think this is something that is going to run me a lot of money, or can a plumber do it in an hour or two?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Another possibility is that the system has lost pressure and the upper floor is air locked. Look for a pressure gauge and report back.
    Pictures of you specific system always helps.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KimGonzalez
    the pressure gauge is always very low at about 2. the manual says it should be about 10-12 but i don't think it's ever been that high.
  • KimGonzalez
    The type of water heater I have is a Viessmann
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    @KimGonzalez -- the pressure shouldn't be that low. It is likely that the upstairs part of your system has become air locked, as @Zman suggested. Since you are not familiar with your system, and it's cold out, I really suggest finding a really good plumber (try Find a Contractor on this site, looking by state) to come by and find out what is wrong. It could be any one of several different things, but a really good plumber should be able to get you warmer in a morning. Or afternoon...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KimGonzalez
    Thank you so much to everyone for all of your great input. I've called several different plumbers to get quotes. Have a great day and Happy New Year!