Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Contractor "Spiffs" - What Incentives Influence Product Decision? Good, Bad and Ugly

Options
I'm reading with great interest "Curious About Wholesaler Choice" and Wall Influence posts. Both got me thinking about the millions of dollars us manufacturers "give away" annually as promotional spiffs (cash, trinkets & trash etc). It's paid for when you buy our stuff so you should have a say right?

What kind of WIFMs do you folks like? For example:
- Jackets, hats, tools etc (please advise if anything specific comes to mind)
- Points towards prepaid Visa cards
- Coupons to redeem cash or product
- Bakers dozens (by 12 get 13 for example)
- Extended warranties (circs, valves etc from same manufacturer extend warranty)
- Wholesaler counter man spiffs (acknowledges the better counter guys - one of the keys to a good wholesaler in my opinion)
- Nothing - just a good deal so you can put more dough in your pocket
- Point of Purchase rebates (outside of State/Utility incentives)

I'm real interested to here your opinions on this. You are the folks that make the purchase decisions - we (all manufacturers, not just Taco) need to target the precious marketing spiff $$$ to what you want/need and see as added value.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    My opinion may not be the norm, but I think you'll find a lot of the older guys who have small shops and that have been doing this for a good while feel the same.

'Spiffs"are not gonna convince me to buy a product: I'm looking for quality and customer service at a reasonably competitive price. If a supplier or manufacturer won't stand behind what they've sold me or respond when I need them, then a hat or a $25 gift card ain't gonna make it right!

This is the biggest problem that I see permeating every part of our industry: Millenials want to sell you something with a lot of hype, but then forget about you until they want the next sale. This goes for contractors, suppliers and manufacturers.

Stop with all the "sizzle" and concentrate on "substance". This is not to say the Taco doesn't give good service - they do. But it's all too common with many now days.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPArick in AlaskaHatterasguySWEI
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Product line that is of great to exceptional quality. I agree with the rest that hats/jackets don't do anything for me. As has been said, good training and reading (such as caleffi's idronics) is paramount in our industry.

If you want to keep contractors buying your products:

1. Make a great product, you can also make a lesser grade "homeowner grade" product for a bit less $$$ if you want, but keep the good stuff comming.

2. Stand behind your product if (when) it has flaws.

3. Sometimes it really is not the manufacturer's issue, but when you still step up to the plate to make it right, we ALL notice (and we all notice when that doesn't happen as well).

4. KEEP MAKING IT IN THE USA! We all win when an American manufacturer keeps building stuff here (European manufacturers are euro manufacturers and that's OK too) just don't ever sell out to those TWO countries we all know have cheap labor and even cheaper quality.

5. I'd still be up for a trip to the factory (for two of course!) All expenses paid.... :#

Not all of these are specifically aimed at Taco or any other manufacturer, and many of these things Taco already does and does a great job at! Remember it's not always about the lowest bidder, maybe I'm old fashion, but quality and longevity are what makes me buy a product 95% of the time.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    I like Visa gift cards, Bosch has a promotion once or twice a year. Nothing beats cash (visa).
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    GREAT question, Steve. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Actually, I just realized who started this thread. Steve, see above.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Dave H_2
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 835
    Options
    I heartily agree with second poster Ray Wohlfarth. Everything he said. And I don't need F.W.Webb Red Sox tickets and "spiff."
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    And as Steve said, you folks are paying for every bit of this stuff.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    In a perfect world, I'd prefer better pricing rather than "spiffs" Is a rebate or baker's dozen really the same as hats or t-shirts? One is attempting to build good will, the other is a quid pro quo
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    Send the boots to me!!!
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I feel like we'd all get more out of it if the dollars were diverted to public campaigns for hydronic heating awareness and advertisements to the public, about the benefits of modern Hydronic heating. The majority of the younger generation don't even realize it's existence. Forced air has become the normal. Might be a good time for hydronics to push back as a brand new technology.

I could care less about the spiffs and I don't like being bothered by rebates.
    Dave H_2rick in AlaskaJohnNYSWEI
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Harvey, the challenge with that is that the manufacturers will see their singular effort as also helping their competitors. This is an age-old problem in the hydronics industry. Spiffs are supposed to bond the contractor to the one manufacturer giving out the swag. That's why they do it.

This is a terrific thread.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I'm that small contractor that Ironman describes. But...I don't mind the perks. Those bakery made cookies or muffins that I mentioned in a previous post sometimes are the highlight of my work day. That said, a jacket or a pair of boots are never going to persuade me to buy, install, and service a piece of equipment in my customer's home that I don't believe in. I can't be bought.
    Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The give a ways, parties and trips also serve as a thank you from a manufacturer to the customer.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Interesting question and great points. Thanks, guys.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Back in the 90's, I had so many Burnham Carhartt jackets from buying their boilers everyone I knew ended up with one. I thought it was great. I still have one. I believed in Burnham and I saw it as a "thank you" as Hot Rod said, not the other way around.

There are certain brands that could offer me a 2 for 1 deal and I would still say no. I value sleep.
    Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Those Vasque boots from Weil Mclain lasted me almost 20 years, they took me on some great adventures.

I have a collection of wines from Wirsbo/ Uponor waiting for a special occasion, they would show up every year whether I bought product or not, an nice gesture.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I got a Christmas card from one of my suppliers..........
    They used to give us some kind of small trinket gift, but not anymore.
    Sometimes it doesn't "pay" to be a small contractor at the end of the road.
    But, it still would not make a difference for me to buy their product if I didn't like it. But it would make me look harder at it.
    Rick
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    weil mcclain just had a promotion that just ended with free boilers. buy 10 get one free. i was able to score 2 free EG-50

their boiler bucks program... meh.. free jackets and boots.. don't need them
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    My timing always seems to be off regarding promos. I'd forego any spiff for excellent tech support and at least a token comp for warranty work, just to ease the pain and suffering. Navien pays labor up to a certain amount for the first year. Steve, I'm happy to tell you I cannot recall any warranty issues on Taco products.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    hot rod said:

I have a collection of wines from Wirsbo/ Uponor waiting for a special occasion, they would show up every year whether I bought product or not, an nice gesture.

You got wine? ****? You know much tubing/manifolds/fittings I buy from them?

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Bob Bona_4SWEI
  • hot_rod
    Options
    JohnNY said:

hot rod said:

You got wine? ****? You know much tubing/manifolds/fittings I buy from them?

I think the wine spiff may have ended a few years back, to be honest.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    The wine ended a while back. John, it was great!
    Retired and loving it.
    Bob Bona_4
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I think they're still paying Mark Hunt by the foot. Mr Barba dared Mark to get up and sing karaoke one trip out to MN. Bet him 1000 feet of Hepex. John didn't know Mark used to sing in a band. <smirk>