Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Radiant Question

Options
jb9
jb9 Member Posts: 104
Hello,

I am considering using electric radiant floor in my master bathroom (on a timer or set schedule). Can anyone here suggest a product that has proven to be fairly dependable and reliable? I don't anticipate the heat load to be large.

Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    May I enquire where you are located, and what heating system you have for the rest of the structure? The main reason I ask is that in much of the United States and Canada, the cost of operation of electric heating -- radiant or otherwise -- is very much greater than the cost of other options. In Quebec, this is not true, however. So the "where" does make a difference. The what heating question is this: if you have hot water or steam for the rest of the house, it may be much more efficient to use a hot water radiant system.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I have used the Suntouch products and had good luck. http://www.suntouch.com/

If you are using it for space heat , because the room has exterior surfaces and has an actual heat loss, I would suggest a room t-stat.
    If you are just going for the "warm floor" feel on an interior bath, a timer would be a good choice.

It is fairly common for the mat to be damaged by the tiling or other contractors.
    Have your electrician check and document the resistance rating of the mat as soon as it comes out of the box and when each trade completes their work. You will need this for the warrantee and it will keep the subs accountable.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    A Loud Mouth is a good accessory to use when installing electric cable or mat system. It lets you know before it is too late:)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Or.... Use one of the plastic sheet type of heaters which are not as susceptible to damage... Most of the self limiting plastic sheet systems will change their resistance based on surface temperatures. So if you have a large room and part of the grid is directly in the path of sunshine, that part will automatically shut down and avoid waste and overheating the area to which it is connected.

There is also a brass screen radiant heater out there that is less susceptible to damage, but is not self limiting.

Curious as to wether or not you realize the difference in hourly cost of operation, It would be a deal killer for me in my location (Denver CO).

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2017
    Options
    this product is nice, and can be nailed stapled through with out damage. The mesh that is.

heatizon.com/zmesh-versatility.php