Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate return

Options
RJ_4
RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
Trying to find in the lost art book where it explains ( physics ) how condensate can return the opposite way of steam in the same pipe in 1 pipe steam radiators
RJ

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    It's not really a problem. Provided the pipe is big enough and pitched properly. There is relatively little condensate, and it flows along the bottom of the pipe. If too much concentrates or it fills too much of the pipe -- that is, the pitch isn't adequate or the pipe is too small -- the moving steam will pick it up and slam it against the next handy elbow -- water hammer. Otherwise, it just flows quietly in a shallow stream on the bottom, and the steam zips over it and doesn't disturb it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    I wonder if liquid from higher floor can obstruct steam at take off?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    jumper said:

I wonder if liquid from higher floor can obstruct steam at take off?

Indeed it can -- if the takeoff is not properly plumbed. If it is correct (within 45 degrees of the top of the pipe), then no.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RJ_4
    Options
    Thanks that's how I always thought it worked, but in the book it talks about how 1 psi of steam can raise water 28 inches , I have a friend who has questions about this
    RJ
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Sounds like we're talking about 2 separate issues here.

If there is 1 PSI steam pressure applied to the bottom of a water filled pipe, yes, it will raise that water column 2.31 feet.

On the other hand, if a pipe is filled with steam and is vertical or has sufficient pitch, the small volume of returning condensate will flow downhill even though the majority of the pipe's volume is filled with steam.

It's a matter of gravity. Water is heavier than steam.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • RJ_4
    Options
    Thanks Pumpguy , Jamie and Jumper Merry Christmas to all at Heating help
    RJ