Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostatic Radiator Valve

crawas
crawas Member Posts: 134
I am using Gorton steam valves for my whole house. One of the rooms I cant seem to get working right. The #4 valve is too cold and the #5 valve is too hot and Gorton makes nothing in between. Should i splurge on a Danfoss Thermostatic Radiator Valve? is there something else on the market that i can buy to fix this problem?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    We assume you are referring to air vents not steam valves.
    You cannot put the standard TRV valve on 1 pipe steam.
    There are thermostatic air vents though.
  • crawas
    yes i apologize....im not so good with the correct terminology....yes i mean the air vents....the ones that screw on to the free standing radiator. I have 1 pipe steam system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    You could. On the other hand, there are several variable orifice vents available which you might try, give you an ability to set it in between somewhere. A lot cheaper...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • crawas
    thanks! can you point me in the right direction of exactly what i could buy?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    The Gorton #4 vents at 0.025 while the #5 vents at 0.080 cfm. If you replace the vent with a VentRite # 1 you can dial anything from 0.025 to 0.083 cfm, that should do what you need.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • crawas
    Thank you. Now I have another question about a room that has a gorton c valve. That room is always cold. If I use a thermostatic valve will it also work to make the room hotter like it works to keep it cooler? If I set it to 75° or 80° will that help the situation?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Air vent TRVs only stop the steam heat from coming.
    Only bigger or faster air vents will get it there.
    Maybe the line feeding that rad needs a large vent in the basement.
    What do you have for main air vents in the basement?
  • crawas
    That's out of my league lol. I wouldn't even know where to look and the line supplying that rad is likely in a ceiling or wall.
  • crawas
    Can someone tell me the range of settings on the ventrite #1? I've been looking online and in one place it says that 1 is off while in another place it says 1 is .033?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    The vent rate is between 0 cfm (at 1) to 0.083 cfm (at 8), this places it at the low end (in capacity) of radiator vents. It is very well made.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2016
    Ventrite #1 Setting 1 Off @1 oz
    Ventrite #1 Setting 2 0.033
    Ventrite #1 Setting 3 0.025
    Ventrite #1 Setting 4 0.030
    Ventrite #1 Setting 5 0.045
    Ventrite #1 Setting 6 0.056
    Ventrite #1 Setting 7 0.070
    Ventrite #1 Setting 8 0.083

Based on Gerry Gill's bench testing
  • crawas
    Thanks everyone!
  • crawas
    Hi guys. I’m back. I have a question about the vent rite #1 vent. Setting 2 is .033 and setting 3 is .025, so wouldn’t that mean that setting 3 cents slower than setting 2? I thought the higher the number then the faster the venting?
  • Fred
    I think those numbers are transposed in the rating table.
  • crawas
    Yea I thought so.

I’m helping a friend of mine balance some rad vents. His kids room gets stifling and he has a very old gorton 5 there that had the hole all taped up. Anything smaller than a gorton 4? It looks like the hole on the 5 he has was made bigger also
  • crawas
    Anything?
  • Fred
    @crawas The Gorton #4 vents at .025 CFM at 1 ounce of pressure. That is about the smallest there is. This isn't the result of some funny piping issue, is it? Like that particular radiator piped right off of the Header instead of the main? How many EDR is that radiator? It may mage sense to exchange the radiator, if it's too large.
  • crawas
    thanks fred. this is for a friend and putting the gorton 4 helped a lot.