Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien Combi-boiler no floor board heat

Hello, I have a navien combi boiler. My hot water is fine just my floor board heaters aren't working. I have a Honeywell rth2300 for a thermostat.

When I set the heat it turns on for about 30 seconds and then I no longer hear any sound from the boiler. It might heat a degree before dropping again. The system is pretty new as we installed it during renovations back in march and the house is finally finished and it is cold so I go to turn it up and nothing is really happening. It worked fine with the old thermostat but that one was damaged by a worker. I just installed the new thermostat because I didn't want this one to break. The old thermostat was not programmable. Any ideas?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    edited November 2016
    Remove the thermostat from the sub base and jump "R and W". If the heat comes on, the problem is your new stat.

That's not the best stat to use with a radiant floor, if that's what you have. I'm not sure if you mean baseboard radiators or a radiant floor.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Moneypit_2
    Moneypit_2 Member Posts: 4
    Baseboard
  • Moneypit_2
    That seems like it could be the case. What type of thermostat do you recommend?
  • Ironman
    That looks like a Honeywell number from a big box store.

With baseboard radiators, you want a stat that can have the cycle rate be adjusted down to 2 - 3 cycles per hour. Those cheap stats are designed for forced air, not hydronic heat.

Look at a Honeywell TH5000 series or higher.
    Bob Boan
    Nostat2Handlers
  • Moneypit_2
    Is there a programmable one I can try? This system runs my third floor master and I don't really want to have to turn the heat up and down all the time
  • Ironman
    The TH6000 series is programmable, theTH800 series is programmable + wifi. You have to go into the installer setup and configure the stat for your system with any of these.

I wouldn't recommend more than 4* setback with a hydronic system. You won't really save anything using it.

The best thing you can do is to make sure that your contractor installed the outdoor sensor with the boiler and properly programmed the outdoor reset curve. Do that, and skip the setback. You'll save a lot more fuel and be much more comfortable in the process.
    Bob Boan
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    But the first thing to do is what @Ironman suggested. If that works -- the heat comes on and stays on -- it's the thermostat. If not, the workmen may have damaged the wires, or you may have some other problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    What is controlling the zones at the boiler? Is there a Taco zone controller next to the boiler? If their is you may have to install a resister on the zone panel if the T-Stat robs power from the controller.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    What happened to the installer?... he should come back and make this right.
    njtommy