Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica boiler ignition problem!

Darrel
Darrel Member Posts: 2
I purchased a Utica series MGB75 last heating season,from a local plumbing and heating contractor. My problem is that when the boiler lights there is usually a delay from the time the ignitor comes on and the burner lights causing a backflash when the gas ignites. The contractor has returned and attempted to solve the issue. they have been unsuccessful. They tell me the problem comes from the fact that the ignitor only lights one burner and the flame needs to cross over to the other burner.
Do you have any suggestions?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Has it been that way from day 1 or did this just start??
    Check draft, check gas pressure.

Check combustion with an analyzer.

Most important. The burners are most likely bent, twisted or misaligned which is not allowing the flame to crossover.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    When was the electrode cleaned last?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Your contractor's blowing smoke at you. All boilers and furnaces with multiple burners only have one igniter that lights the first burner.
    In addition to what's been stated, the crossover passage has to be clean and properly aligned with the adjoining burner(s).
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is there a pilot to light first?
    There were some furnaces with HW Smartvalves that would skip the pilot ignition and try to light the entire burner immediately, this would give the symptoms of delayed ignition, it was actually early ignition of the burners. Often would snuff out the entire flame and go for relight.....for these it was new "Smart" valve replacement time.
  • Darrel
    Darrel Member Posts: 2
    I thank you all for your input! I will monitor the ignition process to look for any potential problems related to your suggestions.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Need some information on Make, Model numbers on controls on the unit and some pictures would help of the burner area?
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    I took a gander at Utica's site. Seems all in that line use a spark to pilot ignition system. Dumb Valves are history fortunately!!! Someone needs to check to make sure the gas pressure is correct!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited October 2016
    The "brains" in the "Smart" valve lost some of their ability to function correctly. It seems any ignition module could fail by allowing both pilot and main gas valve to open simultaneously. IMO
    Though low gas pressure could cause the delayed ignition.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I looked up that boiler it is set up to operate with a Honeywell Integrated Boiler control S9361A, you should be getting a flash code on that control. Any idea what it is? It does not have a Smart Valve it is a VR8200 or 8300 series valve for use with a intermittent pilot application.
    The sequence should be a call for heat a spark to light the pilot, 24 volts to PV/ MV-PV terminals, pilot lights then 24 volts to MV/MV-PV terminals and ignition. You should have 3.5" W.C. gas pressure coming out of the gas valve. With all that you should have safe ignition. If not pull all the burners and check and clean them. Check positioning of the pilot to the burners. The pilot gas flame should envelope the upper 1/2 to 3/8 of the sensing rod.