Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Microbubble Air Eliminator

Options
Does anyone make an air eliminator with a union connection like they do for fill valves or mixing valves. It sure would make servicing/replacement a lot easier, no?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    The Caleffi hydro seps with microbubble and dirt separator have unions on them, can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Totally agree though, would love unions on them....
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Replacing this leaking Vortex would be a snap with a union connection.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    quick and simple would b a press version, 1 or 1-1/4". Or a threaded version could be assembled with any union tailpiece, sweat, MIP, or press.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    The Caleffi, SpiroVent, and SuperVent can all be disassembled in place and the guts replaced.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • delta T
    Options

Replacing this leaking Vortex would be a snap with a union connection.

Ugh. I hate those ones where you don't have room to do anything. One thing I was always taught was that when you install something, think about how you would replace it. Is there enough room to cut the pipe and solder a coupling? no? well you might be kicking yourself in ten years when you have to replace the thing!!

Hope it went well.... :)
    Canuckerkcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    They do have press repair couplings that would speed up that replacement.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    delta T
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Check out Viega copper press x MIP unions.
    79740 1" P x 1" MIP
    79745 1 1/4" P x 1 1/4" MIP
    79750 1 1/2" P x 1 1/2" MIP
    79755 2" P x 2" MIP
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I think you can repair that one in place also. Might wind up having to buy another one and gut it, but should be able to unscrew the top section and just replace it.
    Rick
    delta T
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Don't, don't, don't try to pull the entire vent out, you'll crush it along with using some very foul language at the same time. That vent is Loc-Tited in.
    If its leaking from the top, simply replace the float mechanism and cap from a standard 400 style vent assembly, then discard the leftover body.

Dave H
    Dave H
    Hilly
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Agreed Dave
  • delta T
    Options
    I have replaced the entire top (removing it with a wrench on the cast iron threads with success.......after cursing a great deal trying to get the vent out and, as Dave said crushing it into smithereens. I did have to buy the whole thing and gut it though.
    Dave H_2
  • JackC
    JackC Member Posts: 2
    Options
    ®
    SPIROVENT VJR,VJS and VJV
    Junior Series Air Eliminator

Had one of these pieces of garbage blow off uncontrollably while purging new zone on 10 year old system. Yes, it is installed as per man specs and there is no glycol in system and boiler pressure is normal... Got it to stop by lighting tapping on it and the before our eyes, about 5 min later it blew off uncontrollably again.... Good thing we stayed to watch boiler reach temp and check circulation of new zone, otherwise it would have flooded the basement. I had to cap it off with a 1/2" cap....... it just wouldn't stop. BEWARE IF YOU DONT WANT A LIABILITY INSURANCE INCREASE!!
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    There was room enough for a union on the left side and we unbolted the pump flange on the right side and replaced it with a Caleffi (sweat connection) air eliminator.
    Yes, I've tried removing that vent as well. The Loc-Tite would not yield and I ended up destroying the vent.