Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron Radiators

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone has any photos of cast iron radiators powder coated
. Please see attached picture. Also, anyone know of a somebody who does this work in the Queens, NY area? 11378. Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Enquire @ AMS powder coating
    101-10 jamaica Ave. Richmond Hill. NY
    718-303-9663
    Good luck.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Consider painting instead of powder coating. It takes about 400° to "bake" the powder coating, not all radiators can handle that temperature.

Here is a radiator I'm refinishing. Stripped by hand and a wire wheel on a 4" angle grinder. Then sprayed with a power washer.

This will see 130° supply so just plain Rustoleum spray cans, you can get high temperature spray cans also.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Erin Holohan HaskellLionA29kcoppD107
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Those look like Fighting Irish colors.

I like it!
    Steve Minnich
    Erin Holohan HaskellSolid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024

Those look like Fighting Irish colors.

I like it!

Bright gold craft paint and a satin green on the tubes. I'll let the better half sign off on the colors :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Erin Holohan HaskellTinman
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846

25" American Arco Radiator painted with Rust Oleum High Heat White
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    LionA29Tinman
  • LionA29
    @Hap_Hazzard ...Looks ready to cook. Did it run for a season already or it's newly done?
  • Hap_Hazzard
    I did that one three years ago.
    LionA29
  • LionA29
    It's really nice. I'm sure you baked it really good with some steam.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Not sure how you guys get your pics not to show in thumbnail. This is 26" American Radiator I sand blasted and painted with automotive paint 4 years ago. Seen 190 degree water a couple of times. I have two Arco's and two smaller Weil Mclain of similar style. I really try not to be a radiator hoarder..... passed many up since.

The auto paint is single stage, and smelled the first 3-4 fires in the boiler.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    LionA29Tinmanb_bz
  • LionA29
    Looks awesome!!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    This is a radiator I painted 25 years ago with a latex paint:
    LionA29b_bzethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Seems to me that as with so many things related to paint -- a lot of it is in the care given to preparation...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    b_bzSolid_Fuel_ManSWEI
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I don't think one needs to use high temp paint even for steam rads. One of my closest friend has been a professional automotive and industrial painter for over 20 years. He has regularly painted car engines with standard automotive paint and it's just fine. Standard paints will take a lot of heat, if they didn't you would see paint jobs "melting" on hot sunny days.

Jamie you couldn't be more right about prep.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Solid_Fuel_Manethicalpaul
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I agree that it's all about the preparation. I just did my second radiator paint job...stripped as much off as I could with a spray-on paint stripper, then pressure-washed at work with 200* water (that did more to get that final layer off than any chemical did). Ran rough (wet) sandpaper over any little paint chips that were left, then washed it very well with hot soapy water.

I used Rustoleum "Stop Rust" primer and enamel paint...my system tops out around 140-150*. As long as the radiator sits in the garage for a week after painting, I don't have any odor issues later.

It came out really well, in my opinion. The Stop Rust line of paint has worked well for me in the past so I used it again.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    KC_JonesLionA29b_bzkcoppTodd_33
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It looks great @FranklinD ! I've got one of those larger radiators sitting out in the carriage house (13 sections, ornate scrolling). Been there since before I bought this house 25 years ago. It needs refinishing, if I ever decide I need it somewhere. I'm not sure what room it came out of or if it was even out of this house.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Thanks! I acquired another large radiator too... It is a heavy beast. First one I've had with push nipples between sections. All my others are threaded nipples.

This one is 16 sections and quite tall...45" maybe? I don't remember offhand. But tall. And ridiculously heavy. It about killed us, getting it out of the old police substation it was in. I have no idea who the manufacturer is as I haven't had a chance to look through the old catalogs. Only one coat of paint on it though!
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Todd_33
    Todd_33 Member Posts: 62
    Regarding Rustoleum- I've done a couple with the "regular" Rustoleum on steam radiators ( what 200°? ) and the out gassing was bad and lasted several seasons. They look good though. I've got 3 others to do and Rustoleum isn't on the list. I like the idea of wall paint. Probably a semigloss because I feel the flat get dirty faster. Dunno...
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Just another data point. I had read here on the wall that good acrylic works fine, and I did a test patch on one of my radiators.

Behr acrylic primer and paint in one (it's like the 2nd from the high end) worked great. It never smelled and it looks great.

I agree high-temp paint is totally unnecessary but if it makes you feel better go for it.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Dollr
    Dollr Member Posts: 34
    Todd_33 said:

Regarding Rustoleum- I've done a couple with the "regular" Rustoleum on steam radiators ( what 200°? ) and the out gassing was bad and lasted several seasons. .

Same here, I won't do that again. Acrylic seems to work just fine for me now.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    I use the Rustoleum high-heat. It works great. The previous homeowner slathered on multiple coats of wall paint and it was flaking off all over the floor.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    I'm still trying to figure out if cast iron radiators were originally painted or left raw when new.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Hap_Hazzard
    It probably varied from one manufacturer to the next, but my American Standard ARCO radiators had some kind of gold-colored finish on them.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    The last radiator that I bought from Burnham, about 25 years ago. came natural cast iron color (no paint).
    kcopp
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    I dont think these two have ever been repainted. I believe it’s how they were originally installed.

SuperTechHap_HazzardCanuckerethicalpaul