Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Core removal tools. What brand?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
I'm really not sure if I should buy an actual core removal tool that allows removal with the system pressurized, or if I should go the cheap route and just get the standard kind that lets you remove it on an empty system so I can braze while flowing nitrogen and then put them back in for pressure testing etc. Won't speed up vacuuming any though....

What do you carry and find works best for you? I've seen all kinds of complaints from every brand out there. Typically I go for Yellowjacket stuff, but even theirs has complaints.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• iix
    iix Member Posts: 18
    I've been happy with my pair from appion
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I just picked up four C&D valve tools on Friday--Johnstone H25-597. :) I'm gonna vac down a 60 ton condenser, hopefully this week.

I've used this brand before, no problems yet. I every got the pick & thread chase for it, just because.

You don't always need it, but when you do, nothing else will work.

• ChrisJ
    ratio said:

I just picked up four C&D valve tools on Friday--Johnstone H25-597. :) I'm gonna vac down a 60 ton condenser, hopefully this week.

I've used this brand before, no problems yet. I every got the pick & thread chase for it, just because.

You don't always need it, but when you do, nothing else will work.

60 tons? is that all?
    :o
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Appion here. They come in 2 flavors , 1/4 and the purple 5/16. The 5/16 accept 1/4 inch hoses so they are sort of dual purpose crt / adaptor.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    A thread chase for Schrader fittings?

ChrisJ,come on!!!!! Get the tool!! You know that you REALLY want it. At WORST,its a cool looking tool. I have YJ.
  • ChrisJ
    Techman said:

A thread chase for Schrader fittings?

ChrisJ,come on!!!!! Get the tool!! You know that you REALLY want it. At WORST,its a cool looking tool. I have YJ.

I'm spending some cash to buy the Yellowjacket liquid filled 3 1/2" gauges to convert my Brute II's over to 410\22. So already buying some cool tools. Oh, and let's not forget the new ball valve end hoses, of course. :)

Mine have only been used once, but they're something stupid like 134A\404A\407C.

As soon as I saw they had these nice 3 1/2" liquid filled gauges for it I was sold.

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I'd suggest getting the plain ends, then get separate ball valves/low loss/whatever fittings. I've had too many of them leak over the years to want then permanently attached to the hose. I usually roll with low loss on the red & blue, & a valve on the red & yaller. Lets me switch bottles out without purging the yaller, & empty liquid outta the red without unnippling from the teat. Lazy!

& it is a big'un, biggest condenser I've worked on to date. Two big MAUs, about 25' tall, 1.5 million BTUh heat, 60 tons of cooling. All the fancy controls got deleted from the scope, so they're basically big splits now. :/

Oh, & if you get the fancy tool, be sure to get the one with the ball valve, the other style is just a rubber gland that gets pushed into the throat of the tool by a screw. I don't see how it could possibly hold a vacuum.

ChrisJ