Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIY Bad Radiant

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
I see a lot of poorly constructed systems in the Seattle area. Some are in townhomes, some are in very expensive homes. This system was in a 1200SF home I was considering buying. Driven by a tankless water heater....
Decided purchase was immediately not in the cards.

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    edited July 2016
    Wow! And they say what we do is so simple and easy.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Where's the sigh button?
    rick in Alaskakcoppbmwpowere36m3Ironman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The sad thing is that someone will buy this not knowing that when something is slopped in looking like that it isn't going to work very well.
    But does the kitchen have granite countertops?.....that would distract from the mess in the basement. ;)

At least in Seattle you won't freeze to death overnight if you're inside the house.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    edited July 2016
    I've seen some jobs where the temp of the radiant tubing (staple up) on a newish house (5-7 years old) was above 180 that's if you want to call it that since the install was an abomination, tile separated from the thin set and wood flooring buckled and what really took the cake was that a fare amount of the tubing was strapped to the some the laminated and TGI beams and started to affect the structure integrity of the house.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Paul Pollets
    The Seattle real estate market is so hot, the median price is $666,000.00 That buys a small home in need of improvements. The sellers often paint the home and put in on the market. Lipstick on the pig. Some homes take more than 15-20 offers...cash offers usually win. Most offerings sell in less than 12 days.
    kcoppGordy
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    As long as people see a house as an investment that will give a return in $$$, it's going to stay that way. We'll have this kind of bottom of the barrel construction with high end lipstick until people see a house as a place to live in, not a place to "invest" in.

Not just new construction either, I've read more than one thread here about people turning a silk purse into a sow's ear by replacing the irreplaceable for a return measured in $$$... :/

• Paul Pollets
    If you need a home in the area, there are very few choices. The city is loaded with software companies adding 4000-8000 people per month!! Good for business as many want hydronics in their purchases. Bad for having to buy a home at the top of the market.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    What's the problem...completely color coded piping. Just hang on to one side when cutting it out so you don't get whipped..
    steve
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Gee that's not a bubble that is going to burst..... $666K median price eh.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Ellen's niece sold a townhouse in Seattle recently. They had 10 sealed offers within 48 hours of listing. Sold for quite a bit over asking price
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Amazing real estate market. Around here your lucky to get what you paid 16 years ago. Quite amazing what industry will do to the housing market. People go out of their minds.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    We just sold my moms house in Portland. Listed it on Friday and opened & offers on Monday, all over the asking price. Portland is also hot. Apparently a lot of new, and old, companies are moving in there also. Wish we could have held on to it longer, but who knows, the market could crash. We do have an election coming up and nobody knows how that will affect things.
    P.S My son lives in a townhouse in Seattle also. On demand water heater running heat and hot water. Circulation pump for heat runs all year round, with wall hung fan coil units and high temp thermostats. So, the heat is always running, along with the water heater, in case someone wants heat. Including in the summer when it is 90 out. Very bad design. Apartment is always warm.
    Rick
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Where do these people come from??? Perhaps from that state south of you?

Is "software" one of those jobs that can be outsourced halfway around the world at a fraction of the cost here?

Hasn't this bubble happened before?

Always good to learn a hands on trade as I have preached to children for 30+ years.
  • Paul Pollets
    Most newcomers have come from CA. It may not be a bubble, and I wish there are more that have a hands-on trade. Rick, your son has a system that was installed in thousands of Seattle townhomes as "radiant heat"...so much for marketing.