Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating for the future.

13»

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    PV-connected cooling needs thermal mass to bridge the differences in the solar insolation and building demand curves. Hydronics is the simplest, least expensive way to accomplish that.
    GordyRich_49
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Gordy said:

@ChrisJ you can do what ever you want with out power companies say so. However if you are going to go as far as total off grid then why would you want the grid?

On another note I guarantee you don't have enough usable roof space to allow total for a totally off grid system..maybe yard open land also. Then comes storage......

Several things.
    I never mentioning going totally off grid, the point was to sell back electric while you can and not have to store it.

Second, how can you possibly make a statement like that, knowing close to nothing about me? For all you know I've got a 12W steam boiler and an atmospheric gas water heater and a 40W light bulb in one room.

You really know nothing about my power consumption.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Rich_49
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    ChrisJ said:

Gordy said:

@ChrisJ you can do what ever you want with out power companies say so. However if you are going to go as far as total off grid then why would you want the grid?

On another note I guarantee you don't have enough usable roof space to allow total for a totally off grid system..maybe yard open land also. Then comes storage......

Several things.
    I never mentioning going totally off grid, the point was to sell back electric while you can and not have to store it.

Second, how can you possibly make a statement like that, knowing close to nothing about me? For all you know I've got a 12W steam boiler and an atmospheric gas water heater and a 40W light bulb in one room.

You really know nothing about my power consumption.
    @ChrisJ you are correct that I know nothing about your KW needs. However I can assume your use around 1000kw a month from a state by state average per capita.

Plug in your numbers in a solar PV calculator. Do it as off grid. You will be shocked at the quanity of panels, cost, and pay back time frame.

Couple that with a PV panels degraded output over time.

For me if I go PV it's all the way, and cut the umbilical cord. I'm either all in or out. Helping the power company create KW so they can sell them some where else where is not in my cards.

• SWEI
    Guerilla Solar may be coming back (see Home Power Magazine issues from the late 1990s.)

Batteries are expensive, inefficient, dangerous, toxic, and have a relatively short service life. Low temperature thermal storage is inexpensive, efficient, safe, non-toxic, and has a very long service life. Deciding on the second investment (after envelope improvements) is hardly rocket science...
    Rich_49
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    I didn't mean to go off grid. I meant only for air conditioning powered exclusively by solar. In hot humid regions AC is what makes electric bill so bad. A solar AC doesn't need expensive interconnect with electric utility.
  • SWEI
    ChrisJ said:

I've got a 12W steam boiler

Just had to run the numbers for fun. That's 0.17 EDR (before piping and pickup.)
    ChrisJGordy
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    SWEI said:

ChrisJ said:

I've got a 12W steam boiler

Just had to run the numbers for fun. That's 0.17 EDR (before piping and pickup.)
    Oh boy. :)

You know jolly well I was talking about my gas steam boiler.
    Never measured it with the Ecosteam, but the boiler it self uses about 12 watts.

A 12 watt electric boiler would be cool for a toy house I guess.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    njtommy, seems from your link that Lennox is integrating solar with conventional electricity. That's extra money up front.
    njtommy
  • GreenGene
    GreenGene Member Posts: 290

Not all the jerks were on TV.

radio too