Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-Mclain Gas boiler insertion repair kit

Options
MCAMPOLI
MCAMPOLI Member Posts: 1

What has been done to prevent the screws in this kit from breaking again due to the intense heat from boiler? I own WM Ultra Gas Boiler. In November 2014 the bolts on cone broke off a second time when attempting to remove cone to service boiler. Now the burner is un-serviceable again. The bolts first broke when service was attempted February 1, 2014. The heat ex changer access cover was replaced at my expense on February 17, 2014.
Please reply

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Who is doing the service on the boiler? Have them contact your local Weil-McLain dealer for assitance.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    If it is the access cover bolts to the heat exchanger, my Ultra 3 gas boiler instruction manual is very specific as to the order the bolts are to be tightened, and the prescribed torque to use. IIRC, it is 50 pound-inches. Not 50 pound-feet that may be appropriate for spark plugs in an aluminum cylinder head. I have never met a technician with the required torque wrench. In fact, I have never met one with any torque wrench.

N.B.: I am not a heating technician, so my experience may not be a statistically significant sample.
  • Brp814
    Brp814 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Having serviced a few Ultra boilers, I have never broken the bolts holding the cover on. However the three screws holding the burner to the backside of the cover, I have broken a few. This was mainly due to rust. A couple of squirts of WD-40 and letting it sit on the screws helps to loosen them up. You may need a new cover, unless you can get the broken bolts out of the cover.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Can you use some never size before you place the bolts back in?

http://www.jcwhitlam.com/Product/1/111/190#