Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cracked CI section

JCK
JCK Member Posts: 6
I have a 3 MMBTU cast Iron sectional hot water boiler with a cracked section. Can I still operate it and heat until spring time? Any dangers or damage? Thank you.

Comments

• MikeSpeed6030
    MikeSpeed6030 Member Posts: 69
    Is it leaking? How much?
  • JCK
    small stream, puddles on the floor.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    A hot water boiler that size, I'd be surprised if it lasts until Spring. I'd have all my ducks in a row and be ready to implement "Plan B" if I were you. Maybe even do all the leg work and have a Contractor lined up and a new boiler on site, if at all possible.
  • JCK
    What happens if water sits inside the boiler where the flame is? Steam...so what? Is that a problem . What is the physics?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2016
    JCK said:

I have a 3 MMBTU cast Iron sectional hot water boiler with a cracked section. Can I still operate it and heat until spring time? Any dangers or damage? Thank you.

Lots of problems doing that. One of the biggest being that you're constantly introducing fresh minerals and oxygen into the entire system from the excessive make up water.

If it's cracked, there's a reason for it. Most likely thermal shock. You're headed down a bad and costly road if you don't get it replaced immediately and correct the issue that caused it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    JCK said:

What happens if water sits inside the boiler where the flame is? Steam...so what? Is that a problem . What is the physics?

So your saying its not going to get worse?

Take it as a sign and start the process...............................

or get a few electric heaters just in case!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    JCK said:

I'm just thinking that if that leak gets large enough, it may just leak enough to extinguish any flame, and/or flood the entire area. Are there good low water cut-offs on that boiler to prevent any possible dry firing? It's a gamble how it will behave at this point. My suggestion was simply one of "Preparedness"
  • JCK
    Thank you everyone. I feel better about spending the money on T&M repair right now.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    The steam will destroy the chimney in no time.
  • JCK
    Thanks