Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I've been told

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
that a monkey can be taught to solder like a professional in 30 minutes. Can the same be said for pressing? When will the "A Plumbing We Will Go" movie end? You should see the boiler room! I won't be posting that yet. I just bid on the re-pipe.
Steve Minnich
Rich_49SWEIRobG

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    You must post more, that is.....creative? Maybe they were going for the modern art look?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Tinman
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Show some respect.
    The stooges were using threaded pipe.

Besides, like Mow said, "Who said you need brains to be a plumber".
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    TinmanZman
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    That's awesome the Untrimmed great stuff makes it complete!
    TinmanZman
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    He probably played this a lot as a kid.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KC_JonesBob Bona_4
  • Tinman
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Quite a few things are wrong with the near boiler piping. My biggest issue being a complete misunderstanding of P/S piping, two tees in the same area code won't do it. My three adult daughters are really bright people. When they were kids, the one material thing that we always over-indulged them with were books - from a very early age. They read and read and read some more. The most important things we have to read as contractors are 40-100 page books...Installation Instructions. They spell it out and give us pictures and diagrams for the visual learners and Warnings and Caution Alerts and all kinds of information that they feel is really important to know before we install their product. If I had one tiny bit of advice for contractors it would be to slow down enough to read those 40-100 pages.

The other issues are no flow checks causing zone temps to overshoot by 10-15 degrees, no buffer tank when the job screams for one, and very poor workmanship among other things.

The thing is - they chose a really good boiler, air separator, pumps, etc. They just didn't know what to do with them.
    Steve Minnich
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    The designer and installer are as much a part of the system as any of the quality components . I'm sure you'll fix it up and someone has learned that the bottom line is not the only consideration .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Tinmankcopp
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Hay the guy came in with the best price...the other guys were a bunch of thiefs...Not
    kcopp
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    I have no words but would like to see more.
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    Hey Moe , there's the problem , this pipe is full of wires !!
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

ChrisJ
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options

If I had one tiny bit of advice for contractors it would be to slow down enough to read those 40-100 pages.

Ah, but therein lies the rub: how can you be taught something that you think you already know?

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Tinman
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    meh... if it doesn't leak... it's fine.. The Three Stooges only got into trouble because everything started leaking.
  • Tinman
    Options
    And...Curly piped himself into the tub.
    Steve Minnich
    njtommy
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    My favorite episode
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    njtommy....That's funny, and I know funny.
    njtommy
  • mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    That's just sad, put the tools down and get away from the boiler before you hurt someone. I heard a comment from a plumbing apprentice once that made me cringe. Its just water going through them pipes so whats the difference. How can we as an industry convince more people that this is a trade to be appreciated. Makes me feel like all the time I have spent trying to do my best is wasted. Dam!
    Matt Rossi
  • ChrisJ
    Options

And...Curly piped himself into the tub.

They later redid that episode using Shemp and a lot of the older footage. It's worth a watch as you see some stuff that was cut from the original.

It's called Vagabond Loafers.

https://youtu.be/08sCJVa32ik
  • Gordy
    Options
    They say Just picking up a rock, and using it to strike a,nail is what separates us from the monkeys.......some did not advance from there.
    Rich_49
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    How can you possibly be the lowest bidder feeding a two loop manifold with one inch copper? If the design actually required a two loop manifold there, we would have fabricated the manifold out of inexpensive parts and fed it with 1/2" PEX, making our materials cost probably 80% lower.
    Tinman
  • Gordy
    Options
    Looks like they transitioned from pex to copper.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Right, but why?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Looks like from pex to copper to pex.

As far as why I don't think you're going to find that answer here.
  • Gordy
    Options
    I think they could have taken it to a whole next level by bringing the manifold to bar top height, and adding beer tapper handles to the manifold. Hacker-pschorr is a personal favorite.
    SWEI
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I think you might be on to something there. They were enjoying liquid refreshments while doing that work.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Gordy said:

I think they could have taken it to a whole next level by bringing the manifold to bar top height, and adding beer tapper handles to the manifold. Hacker-pschorr is a personal favorite.

Wait! wut? the loops have beer in them? Hmm... does beer have a lower freezing point than glycol? Maybe it's the better thermal transfer properties, although.. warm beer... meh..
  • Gordy
    Options
    To much foam with that circ running.
    SWEI