Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

accident

lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
Watching the news tonight. A lady decides to fix her own water heater and removes the main shut off valve by mistake? How do you do that and not think to put it back on...Made for a pretty good fire....Call a pro folks..It's much safer that way...

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Many years ago a neighbor asked me to look at some work he was doing on his 1920 four square because he wasn't sure what to do next. He had removed a 14 ft center load bearing wall and was wondering why the second story floor joists were overlapped and how to brace them.

I told him he had better get a header and some supports up before the whole house collapsed on to of him, and to keep the wife and kids out of the house till it was in place.

I think the only thing holding it up was **** luck.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited October 2015
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Sadly we think of this as a Darwin award. Reality is maybe that person could just not afford to hire a professional.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I saw that article. Oy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Big Gas lines mean bigger fires . Do the math
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2015
    A neighbor had a leaking hot water heater but I didn't want to replace it because, with her, I would be responsible for it and everything within a five foot radius forever. Told her I wasn't licensed...gas line...dangerous, yada,yada,yada.

Another neighbor who IS a licensed plumber charged her the going rate-which was pricey in her mind; no, it shocked me too- and it annoyed her to no end.

But I slept really well that night!
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited October 2015
    @SlamDunk
    That's the biggest problem with this trade. Everyone knows what you do for a living and wants you to do them a favor.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    not my neighbor!