Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica Boiler Ignition Problems

Options
campbllrh
campbllrh Member Posts: 3
I have a natural gas fired Utica Boiler MGB 100 J Series II (heats water that is then circulated in baseboards for heat, 3 zones) installed in the fall of 2013. It worked great the first winter. On the second winter, it started having a series of error messages that showed up. (Very frequent 10 error messages, and on occasion a 62 error message.) I tried checking a couple of different things. Checked the gas pressure by certified person and the pressure was perfect. Then, we replaced the pilot assembly, and that worked for awhile. Later in the spring, the same errors messages showed up. We were past the warranty, of course, so tried installing a new circuit/motherboard on the boiler itself. This was not inexpensive. This seemed to worked for some time. This fall, the error messages are back and the boiler sometimes work, and sometimes does not work. A boiler that works on occasion when it is zero degrees out is not really an option. I had a 40 year old Burnham fuel oil boiler that was much more reliable than this boiler (not as efficient, and dirtier but at least it worked consistently). The damper works every time the boiler tries to start, there is a dedicated chimney for exhaust, etc. We had it inspected and when it does burn it burns very clean. (The person who inspected believes the natural gas in our area is on the drier side, which I understand is preferred to the wetter natural gas.) There is almost no carbon build up anywhere. I am at a loss and am hopeful that someone can help me get past the dreaded error messages so that we can have some heat.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Those codes all deal with an erratic or no flame signal. Utica has a retrofit pilot assembly for some of that model. Yours may or may not be one.
    You need to get a KNOWLEDGEABLE service tech out there and have him get on the phone with Utica tech support to properly diagnose the problem.
    Don't blame the the appliance because the person attempting to service it doesn't have the knowledge or skills to do so.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • campbllrh
    Options
    Hi Bob, Thanks for your suggestion. I did replace the pilot assembly by the person who installed the boiler and it worked perfectly afterwards, for about 10 months. Then the error messages came back. The pilot assembly shouldn't have to be replaced once a year, should it?? Is there anything else it could be?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Once is enough, if it's the retrofit one. Proper instruments and the knowledge of how to diagnose a flame rectification system are what's needed.
    You'll be better off getting a competent tech out there than trying the shotgun approach. If you've already paid for a new board that wasn't necessary, then you know this from experience.
    Again, have him get on the phone with tech support if he can't find the issue right away. Whoever you cantact, ask them specifically if they know how to diagnose and repair this boiler and its safety system and will they gaurrantee their that their repair will fix the issue.
    Check the contractor listing on site for someone near you.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    That pilot has been a problem, as Bob stated get someone who will contact the factory for the kit to replace that pilot and the procedure for setup after it is replaced. See if you can get your money back for the board that was not needed.
  • campbllrh
    Options
    So you think it is the pilot assembly that needs replacing again? And, this time, once it is replaced, make sure a tech is on the line who can describe exactly the procedure for setup? I have people who know boilers in my area, but the closest one who is certified by Utica is 5 hours away....
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Try the local Utica dealer in the area.