Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

touched wires together while changing thermostat

Options
I was installing a NEST thermostat. I didn't kill the power and touched the wires together. Now that radiant zone won't work. Is the problem in the zone valve? Maybe the end switch? Or a fuse in the furnace? Thanks!

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    You likely either blew the transformer or if it is in a zone panel, check the fuses.
    sashasenkoff
  • sashasenkoff
    sashasenkoff Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Man thanks!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    ..and turn the power off this time :)
    steve
    sashasenkoffRobG
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    How many wires did you have at the thermostat end? If just 2, shouldn't have blown anything. If more than 2 then yeah, you probably let the magic smoke out of something....

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • sashasenkoff
    Options
    It was only 2. 1 red and I white. Where would you start? Open the furnace and look for fuses? It's radiant heat so it takes a while to heat. I put the heat up to 70 one night and it didn't go past 63. The furnace was installed in 1996. Could it burn out a zone valve as opposed to a fuse? As you can see I know very little about this kind of thing...
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Most likely the nest is not set up correctly. Try tying the two wires together and see if the heat works.
    sashasenkoff
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    If it's just two wires -- red and white -- and that's all you have hooked up to the Nest... it's not going to work. The red and white need to be hooked up to something which is going to close the circuit when heat is needed. Just a switch. As Unclejohn said, just try hooking those two wires -- at the thermostat -- together and seeing if you get heat.

If I recall, a Nest -- among other idiosyncracies -- must have a dedicated C lead -- 24 volts AC always on to operate at all.

You really have two choices -- something a less next generation and golly gee whiz, like a good programmable thermostat -- or pull a third wire for your Nest.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    sashasenkoff
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options

If I recall, a Nest -- among other idiosyncracies -- must have a dedicated C lead -- 24 volts AC always on to operate at all.

Like all web-enabled thermostats, it has a power budget that's just not quite workable on batteries. They claim it can power steal, but IIRC actually doing do causes it to do something ugly (reboot, perhaps?)
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,676
    Options
    Isn't "shorting" the red and white together how you turn the heat on? Literally?

The Nest claims it doesn't need a Common, but everything I've heard says it really should require one. For example, a really long call for heat can kill it's internal batteries.

And............ I just noticed SWEI said the same thing.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    sashasenkoff
  • sashasenkoff
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll try to touch the wires together and see if I get heat. Thanks!!