Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil boiler question

Options
njtommy
njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
A buddy of mine ask me to install a new oil boiler for him. He's looking at a Crown free port boiler which is a 3 pass boiler and its 87%er.
The other crown oil boiler is just a standard cast iron boiler that is 85-86%.

All costs aside is he really gaining much out of the 3 pass boiler over a traditional cast iron boiler?

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Sure. Make the heat lost by combustion scrub off more efficiently by wafting thru a 3 pass, vs. Right up thru a pinner.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Does the pin boiler have a coil? Standby loss is a huge factor. Ease of maintenance is a big plus in favor of a triple pass as well as the ability to cold start under most circumstances.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    RobGZman
  • njtommy
    Options
    Current boiler does not have a DHW coil in it. He has a indirect tank that will be replaced at the same time. Its a 2,000 sq ft home with 4 zones valve and a large B and G pump. He also wants to go to 4 smaller pumps instead.
  • njtommy
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @ hatterasguy
    That's what I plained on doing, but he doesn't want to run a single pump any more. I think it's stupid to run 4 pumps. I even told him I could pipe in a second pump for back up and he could just open two valves, but still is set on 4 pumps.
  • njtommy
    Options
    Lol
    I tried to tell him the biggest problem he has is that oversized pump.