Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

working with ThermoFin, and shower wall radiant

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
Here are some of the methods I used to do radiant walls.
It really helps to pre-drill the plates, then use a small countering screw wood or grabber screw to keep it all flat
Same for cutting them, leave them in the box and cut the whole stack in one swipe
Either horizontal or vertical works, but going across the studs risks potential nail shots from the cement board installer
Use furring strips for vertical installations to stay away from the stud where they nail the cement board
Tighter tube spacing works faster and spreads the heat more evenly, 6" OC would be ideal, maybe 3/8" tube
Warm pex shapes better, Uponor or Mr pex are the most flexible, 3/8 PAP works also
Pneumatic palm nailer with plastic tip drives the tube in, wear ear plugs!
I tried to incorporate warm shower walls on every new construction job, even if it wasn't a radiant installation, often without telling the owner, it's a real crowd pleaser
A 2-1/2 or 6 gallon electric water heater is usually plenty of HP, install the appropriate element to get the output you need. You can buy up to 5500W elements 18,700 BTU/hr.

Some of the premade dry systems would work also, Roth, Viega, Uponor, etc. But I would not use the particleboard type panels behind a shower wall.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
Rich_49

Comments

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    some great ideas there thanks for sharing.How do you install insulation on outside wall under window if I am looking at it correctly.
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Thanks HR,
    That is just what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • hot_rod
    I think that window is in the room behind the bath? Not too many windows in showers around here, or master bath showers on exterior walls, for that matter.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    HR ever worry about plate contact against substrate in your vertical method? Some blocking to insure that plates stay against substrate material?
  • hot_rod
    The plates are "proud" of the studs so the substrate, when nailed to the studs should keep everything in contact. not a lot of load in a shower, just trying to warm the surface a few degrees.

The floor would be heated also, that is the best conduction to the body.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Mark I would give you an insightful,Agree, and like. Since I can only do one it is insightful. A "DEEP" understanding.

HR not questioning methods, lean twords vertical never know the substrate installers capabilties. Nice info on techniqhes
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Installed in my own daughters, shower walls,behind the tile and under the tub....she loves it.....She loves me to
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    j a, any Pic's?

Thanks, Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I can see if I can dig them up it was 3 years ago...actually I did the whole first floor in radiant....Her house is 1100 sq feet per floor...Its the best form.of heat ever