Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus G115WS Oil Burner \ Buderus ST-150 Hot Water Tank and Buderus 2107 Logamatic Control Unit

wrsheat
wrsheat Member Posts: 3
I currenly have a 20 year old Peerless Oil Burner that I want to upgrade in order to achieve more cost efficicent heating. My heating contractor has reccommended the above mentioned system. Some of the reviews that I found online have not been favorable. Should I be looking at a different heating system? Please help! Thanks in advance.

-- Bill

Comments

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I would just shy away from the Buderus water heater. I have been using the Bradford White Prostor and the HTP line (SSU and SSP)
    RobG
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Anyone try the Dunkirk H2O indirect? Done a couple last week with Dk2 Pensottis, and seems sweet. Anode, stainless, and lifetime warranty, and almost exact 2 tone color coordinated? Giving it a try
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Depends on the local water quality,on Long Island the chlorides make short work of stainless tanks, We've installed 100's and 100's of Buderus indirects and have never changed a single one.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    Thanks Robert. Stainless holds up well here, just finding the usual suspects getting too pricey, and gave this a shot.
  • jjette
    jjette Member Posts: 6
    This is a great combination and I've been installing for years. If you use the ST150 be sure to replace anode annually or at least inspect annually. Document it too. buderus also has a SST tank available as well. If you use the R2107 logamatic with a different indirect than buderus make sure the domestic sensor can fit into the well of the indirect properly.
  • wrsheat
    thanks for everyone's input. While I am still considering converting my existing 20 year old Peerless oil burner to a G115WS Buderus with the buderus-st-150-hot-water-tank-and-buderus-2107-logamatic-control-unit
    I am a bit gun shy especially after reading some of 1 Star Reviews on this site below ...

Not sure if I should move ahead with Buderus -- seems risky ??

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.furnacecompare.com/furnaces/buderus/reviews/2/
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Hold on... For starters ANY forum that calls a Boiler, a furnace starts off w/ 2 strikes against it.
    The posters on that web site have little or no clue....
    There are 2 parts to an oil BOILER. The block/ cast iron and the oil burner.
    There are at least 3 different burners. Carlin , Beckett and Riello.
    I am 99.9% sure there is not a problem w/ a Buderus block.
    You need a good oil burner tech to properly set up what ever oil burner you install.
    I usually install Carlin burners in my oil boilers.
    I have a Riello in my 115-3 Buderus.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Last 2 install with factory supplied Riello burners (115 and a 215) both were fired up with no settings tweaks... Just analyzed and both were firing 87% right out of the box. I'd give them 5 stars. Plus I had an lack of understanding the first time I looked at a 2107 and the tech support were absolutely excellent to deal with. Just my thought. I'd never shy away from a Buderus.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Get someone that knows Buderus to install it and you won'the be sorry. Get someone who doesn't and you will.

SWEI
  • jjette
    jjette Member Posts: 6
    We install all our Buderus G115 boilers with Riello burners. They are an excellent combination. I have been installing this combination since 2006. I have had not 1 issue with a block. Please be careful what you read.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    The 115 works well with all three burners, Beckett,Carlin and Riello. The choice of contractor is going to have much more of an impact on your experience than the type of burner,controls,accessories. I would go to the Bosch website and choose a Accredited Bosch Contractor

http://boschprohvac.com/wp-content/uploads/ABC_files/ABC_ContractorFlyer_70H993025-locator-version.pdf
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    billtwocaseZman
  • billtwocase
    Robert hit the nail on the head. Any unit can be a troublesome piece of $$#! if the installer/service tech has no clue.
    kcopp
  • mxfrank
    mxfrank Member Posts: 22
    First, I agree that Buderus makes a decent casting. The burner is likely to be a Riello, which is fine. My comments are directed at the Logamatic. I own a Buderus g205 with the Ecomatic control, which is an earlier generation of the Logamatic. Based on seventeen years of experience with this system, my suggestion is to install a conventional set of boiler controls rather than the Logamatic. If you want to save a bit more, you can add something like a Taco outdoor reset. But Logamatic is a no-go on a typical US installation.

The reason why is that heating systems are really very different in Germany. The Logamatic is designed to work with steel panel emitters. The boiler feeds a hot water loop in the basement, and each radiator is tapped into the loop with a thermostatic control valve. Each valve can be set by the homeowner to balance the temperature as desired. There are no electronic thermostats. The Logamatic control does two main things: first, it controls the temperature of the water in the loop in response to outdoor temperatures. Second, it varies the temperature of the water based on a time schedule. This is how they achieve time of day temperature setbacks.

In a typical US system, whether you have radiators, forced air, or baseboard, one or more digital thermostats are usually used to achieve temperature setback. Combine a US system with a Logamatic, and the thermostat and Logamatic will fight each other unless they are precisely synchronized. If you get everything just right, the system will work fairly well. If you don't you'll be wondering if you bought the emperor's clothes.
    kcopp
  • wrsheat
    thanks all ... your comments and input have been very informative and helpful!