Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Split & Reno

So I am looking at a new house. And hot water would be a hard retrofit and might not be worth the current investment restrictions. Can one recommend a good setup for a 'Backsplit' or 'Multispilt' style home. I am going there tomorrow for full measurements so I can get started on the Heatloss so that will be done. It's a home I am looking to purchase for myself (wife and family included). The levels are all aprox 550 ft^2 each. L1)Wide open 6' below grade basement - will be a workout are and laundry and maybe half bathroom
L2) front and back entry, half bath, two rooms (office/tv probably uses)
L3) open concept kitchen, dining and living room.
L4) full bath and 3 bedrooms.

In our current home we have lg cool art mirror finish minisplit system and we are comfortable with the look of splits if it's the most practical solution. Or would a hybird system be best, ducted split for bedrooms, wall or ceiling cassette for open living area. Honestly I'm open to the most practical option. Goal being that electrical costs lower a bit from existing baseboard system and added AC for a wife with Hypothyroid so she drips sweat in the summer even in our climate where warm is a day to get excited for. hahaha

In short looking for brand recommendations and distribution setup for this stlye home. There will be enough of a reno to do most anything.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Ductless split, Mitsubishi seems to be the go to brand.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    I do like Mitsubishi," City Multi". At last check they allowed something like 1-12K AND 2- 9k ON 1 CONDENSER. I'm sure this has probably been improved, but check it out. Although I am not a fan of mini-split systems I guess the have their place in the world. I would most like to see Hi Velocity equipment by Unico and the like. From a service point of view, I find it increasingly difficult to work on Mini's made for people with uniform 1/2" diameter fingers.............:-) Really.

MPT...
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What's the heat loss and outdoor design temp?

Fujitsu, Daikin, and Mitsubishi all have (and support) quality options at this point.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Not sure of the her loss yet, it's a property in hoping to purchase. Design temp is 6F
  • SWEI
    Every residential multi-split I've sized to date (at our 10-14°F winter design) required a larger outdoor unit than the heat loss would have dictated just to accommodate enough indoor heads to meet the client requirements.

Info from currently available Fujitsu models: 2 heads allowed on an 18k, 3 heads on a 24k, and 4 heads on a 36k. The 48k will handle 4-8 heads, but beware: Once you go over 4 heads, splitter boxes are required -- and those add up quickly.
  • Hilly
    It is mainly for sup heat and air conditioning for my wife. The house is a side split so I'm hoping least invasive options.
  • Hilly
    I know almost nothing about high volecity systems, think they'd make a good option?
  • SWEI
    As long as you don't mind the look of the ductless indoor units, you'll get more bang for your buck that way. Less structure re-work most of the time, too.
    RobG
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Spacepak and its ilk is fairly non-intrusive and practically invisible once installed.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Hilly
    honestly in my current home we have the mirror finish from LG and the look is actually quite pleasing for what you get.
  • Hilly
    I'll have to draw up a floor plan and post a picture. Maybe I'll setup a poll as to what will give me the best. Main issue is that I have a budget below 20k for this project. So I had to avoid anything solar or geo but maybe radiants walls could be an option. I'll be back with some details.
  • Hilly
    @vaporvac Are ceiling cassettes okay to install in the attic apace in a cold climate? 5F DD cold.