Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Split & Reno

So I am looking at a new house. And hot water would be a hard retrofit and might not be worth the current investment restrictions. Can one recommend a good setup for a 'Backsplit' or 'Multispilt' style home. I am going there tomorrow for full measurements so I can get started on the Heatloss so that will be done. It's a home I am looking to purchase for myself (wife and family included). The levels are all aprox 550 ft^2 each. L1)Wide open 6' below grade basement - will be a workout are and laundry and maybe half bathroom
L2) front and back entry, half bath, two rooms (office/tv probably uses)
L3) open concept kitchen, dining and living room.
L4) full bath and 3 bedrooms.

In our current home we have lg cool art mirror finish minisplit system and we are comfortable with the look of splits if it's the most practical solution. Or would a hybird system be best, ducted split for bedrooms, wall or ceiling cassette for open living area. Honestly I'm open to the most practical option. Goal being that electrical costs lower a bit from existing baseboard system and added AC for a wife with Hypothyroid so she drips sweat in the summer even in our climate where warm is a day to get excited for. hahaha

In short looking for brand recommendations and distribution setup for this stlye home. There will be enough of a reno to do most anything.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 6,047Member
    Ductless split, Mitsubishi seems to be the go to brand.
  • Empire_2Empire_2 Posts: 2,343Member
    I do like Mitsubishi," City Multi". At last check they allowed something like 1-12K AND 2- 9k ON 1 CONDENSER. I'm sure this has probably been improved, but check it out. Although I am not a fan of mini-split systems I guess the have their place in the world. I would most like to see Hi Velocity equipment by Unico and the like. From a service point of view, I find it increasingly difficult to work on Mini's made for people with uniform 1/2" diameter fingers.............:-) Really.

MPT...
  • SWEISWEI Posts: 7,356Member
    What's the heat loss and outdoor design temp?

Fujitsu, Daikin, and Mitsubishi all have (and support) quality options at this point.
  • HillyHilly Posts: 406Member
    Not sure of the her loss yet, it's a property in hoping to purchase. Design temp is 6F
    Every residential multi-split I've sized to date (at our 10-14°F winter design) required a larger outdoor unit than the heat loss would have dictated just to accommodate enough indoor heads to meet the client requirements.

Info from currently available Fujitsu models: 2 heads allowed on an 18k, 3 heads on a 24k, and 4 heads on a 36k. The 48k will handle 4-8 heads, but beware: Once you go over 4 heads, splitter boxes are required -- and those add up quickly.
    It is mainly for sup heat and air conditioning for my wife. The house is a side split so I'm hoping least invasive options.
    I know almost nothing about high volecity systems, think they'd make a good option?
    As long as you don't mind the look of the ductless indoor units, you'll get more bang for your buck that way. Less structure re-work most of the time, too.
  • vaporvacvaporvac Posts: 1,516Member
    Spacepak and its ilk is fairly non-intrusive and practically invisible once installed.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    honestly in my current home we have the mirror finish from LG and the look is actually quite pleasing for what you get.
    I'll have to draw up a floor plan and post a picture. Maybe I'll setup a poll as to what will give me the best. Main issue is that I have a budget below 20k for this project. So I had to avoid anything solar or geo but maybe radiants walls could be an option. I'll be back with some details.
    @vaporvac Are ceiling cassettes okay to install in the attic apace in a cold climate? 5F DD cold.