Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should I change the Boiler Control (Mod# 1013-200)?

Steve_Slota
Steve_Slota Member Posts: 25
My Weil-McClain HE II did not start up on its own last night or this morning. I had to turn off the service switch off and then on to get it to work. Had a service guy here for two hours, and the boiler acted fine. I notice that there is a loud repetitive clicking everyday. I was told that the sound is the gas valve opening and/or closing, and that the Circuit Board is what controls the gas valve. It should not be opening and closing that rapid and often correct? Of course it did not do this when the Service Tech was here, but it does so many times every day.

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    You need to go down there when it's clicking and find out what is making the clicking. I doubt it's the gas valve.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Did you have any lights flashing on the 1013-200?

Did you check the microamps from the igniter/sensor?

Check and see if the clicking is coming from the board or from the gas valve. There are relays in that board that can cause what you are seeing. There is a total of five of them
    1. for the circulator
    2. for the combustion air blower
    3. for the hot surface igniter
    4. 2 for the internal dual switch safety on the control board. Those have to close in order for the gas valve to be powered.

Any one of those could give you the clicking noise. If they are doing the clicking replace the board.

If not put a meter on the gas valve and see if the voltage fluctuates when the clicking takes place.

If you contact me at gastc@cox.net I can send you a complete checkout that goes way beyond what the I and O manuals give you.
    Steve_SlotaZman
  • Steve_Slota
    Thank you John and Tim! I am still trying to pin point the actual "click". The voltage was tested on the wires to the devices coming off of the board. It was fine yesterday while the tech was present, but like I said the boiler behaved itself while he was here. One thing I thought of; can it possibly be a back draft issue caused by the wind? Sunday and yesterday morning were very windy, and we have had some very winy days/nights this winter. The boiler vents straight outside to the wall directly behind it. Thanx again!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I don't know how you will check this, but I had HE with a tired blower. When high winds blew against it, it would cycle off or not start. A new blower assembly turned it into a fine thing again.
    Steve_Slota
  • Steve_Slota
    That actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I'm not saying the blower is bad.

When it comes to oil burners, I had much better luck with Tjernlund SS1 Side Shot Power Venter's. I had problems with Field SWG Power venter's installed on a side where high NW winds blew against them. Until I could replace them, I put a piece of plywood a foot or two in front of them to deflect the wind from blowing straight on them. I never had that problem with a Side shot.
    Steve_Slota
  • Steve_Slota
    Understood. I had another friend of mine suggest the same thing with the plywood a couple feet in front of the vent on windy days. I'll take note on what I do over the next couple days and post the results. Have a great day!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    High winds can cause pressure back into the unit causing the pressure switch to make and break, that will cause the gas valve to come on then go off before the safeties kick in. The rough weather we have been seeing is a real test of the ability of different equipment to operate under the most adverse conditions. The typical safety shut off on these systems is around .8 of a second depending on the system.
    Steve_SlotaZman
  • Steve_Slota
    Thank you Tim. The last day and a half have been wind free. There have been no issues with the boiler the last day and a half either. We are going to have another cold front with some wind come thru tomorrow night. If the problem occurs again, then I believe we have found the issue. The questions would then be, what's the fix? New stronger blower? Different vent cover? Lean a piece of plywood over the vent to block the wind but allow the exhaust to flow out?