Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3 zone control panel went out

JStreet24
JStreet24 Member Posts: 5
Woke up this morning and noticed that all three thermostats were out so I replaced the batteries then went upstairs to the furnace and noticed that the lights on the control box were out. What can I do to fix this issue. The furnace continues to blow air but if feels cool.

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    We'll is it losing power? Way way to many scenarios.. But have to start looking at power.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    Does the zone controller power/charge the thermostats (or batteries in them)? I would start by checking if the zone controller is getting power (assuming line, 110V) and checking if it has any fuses inside.

Need more info...
  • JStreet24
    Yes, the zone controller powers the thermostats. all 3 thermostats have battery compartments bdidn't put batteries in them because I'm guessing that there isn't a need.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Make sure there is power going to that control panel, I don't know if its 120 vac or 24vac but it needs a power source. Do you have a meter to check it?

If there is power, make sure all the connections are tight, it only takes one loose screw or connector.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JStreet24
    No I don't have a meter to check it but all connections seem tight. It was working perfectly for three years until it went out yesterday. I check to see if a fuse blew but can't find a fuse on it. I attached a picture of the unit if that helps.
  • JStreet24
    Here is a pic
  • JStreet24
    It is one zone with 3 electronic dampers which controls the 3 thermostats not 3 zones btw.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    edited February 2015
    It doesn't look like its powered of the mains (110V), so probably by 24VAC off a separate transformer or maybe a controller/furnace itself...

If you don't have a meter to measure voltage, it'll be much harder to troubleshoot. Harbor Freight has cheapo ones for like $5. While I wouldn't count on it for giving me very accurate values, it should be sufficient to tell you if there is voltage present.

Here you go: http://www.zonexproducts.com/us/products/digitract-3/digitract-3-wiring-schematics/
  • bmwpowere36m3
    You should have 24VAC across the red and blue wire (circled in red):
    Powers comes from HVAC unit
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Did you recently change your air filter. If so you may not have the furnace door on properly. Or the switch is off to the furnace.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Proper way to install a zone panel is with a separate transformer to power the panel. The transformer in the furnace is rarely of sufficient capacity (va) to do it. We have that same panel in our office. I'm believing without crawling up there that the 2 upper right terminals are the 24v to run the panel
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    It appears, as others have noted, that the zone panel may be powered from the furnace's transformer which may not be sufficient to carry everything. There may be a fuse for that on or around the furnace's control board.

Looking at the pic of the zone panel, it appears the bottom terminal strip goes to the equipment. If that is so, temporarily jumper the "R" and "W" terminals and see if the furnace comes on. If it does, then the zone panel is probably not powered from the furnace. If it doesn't, then it probably is and that's where the problem is.

As noted, make sure the door is on the furnace tightly or it won't be powered. Also, check switches and circuit breakers.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.