Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas pilot fuel usage...

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
Does anyone have an idea about how much fuel a gas pilot uses?

I realize a that it depends on the pilot. But as a percentage how much of you gas use is your pilot use? approx.?
I have heard the number 10% thrown around.

I also realize that a pilot burning has some advantages...especially in a damp basement.

ty,kcopp

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    My recollection is that it's much less than 10%.
    2-3%?
    Timmie?
    Steve Minnich
    kcopp
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    Going by this it appears to be about 2%.
    Of course, after reading what I did about AFUE readings I don't know how useful these numbers are.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    kcopp
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 793
    Options
    A typical pilot is around 1000 btus. That would be 8,760,000 btus for 365 days. Assuming heating usage is 55 to 60 million btus a pilot would be 14%-15%. During the heating season pilots
    are heating the water on a boiler and water in a water heater all year long. Except in the summer on a heating appliance, I would think pilots waste very little energy during the winter.
    kcopp
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I have a chart I use that gives different orifice sizes and the gas pressure used either 3.5" W.C. or7" W.C. Because heating gas valves do not regulate pilot gas but the pilot is on line pressure you would use the 7" figure that gives you use per day times 365 and then multiply cubic feet times your local cost per cubic foot.

To give it a dollar value I usually find it costs about $100 to $150 per year depending on the cost of gas.
    kcoppZman