Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Iron Oxide Limitations With ECM Circs

Options
2»

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    Are the wet rotor circulators making themselves a magnet with the pump shaft turning inside the motor windings and attracting iron particeles? The job we had problems with was a glycol system that had been diluted and run with crappy water for a long time. The mains were piped with black pipe with copper branches. Hot water system if that provides any clues
  • Steve Thompson (Taco)
    Options
    Wet rotor circs have a magnetic rotor (yep, attracts iron particles). When we design these things we have to take into consideration the amount of fluid exchange in the rotor can (they are water lubricated by the system fluid).

Some ECM magnetic rotor folks actually filter the system fluid before it goes into the rotor can (works as long as the filter doesn't plug up).

So, us manufacturers of magnetic rotor circs test the heck out of em against iron oxide attacks and other stuff. However, in extreme cases and the right conditions they might fail (and most importantly, IF they fail due to system fluid and nothing is done to fix the water issue, they will continue to fail).

Not just iron oxide particles either - I've seen copper particle failures (copper pipe rotting due to real bad pH).

Don't panic - I've been involved in ECM product design & development for over 8 years. The percentage of failures is actually very low. I like to point out "the better the system fluid is the longer these things last" - and if one fails, inspect the rotor - it can tell the root cause...
    icesailor
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good Vs. Bad Ice in Pot:

I guess my photo didn't appear.

Try again.

That should do it.