Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Iron Oxide Limitations With ECM Circs

Options
Fellow Wallies, I'm ashamed to ask but have any of you seen anything published that states the maximum allowable amount of iron oxide in a system when using ECM circs? I assume PPM.

10 years of experience with ECM - I have still not seen anything published on this. To date, all I know is too much will cause issues (duh).

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    I have never had an ECM of any brand fail for any reason, I think this whole water quality thing is much ado about nothing
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Steve Thompson (Taco)
    Options
    Agreed ECM failures are extremely rare but I've personally seen all three brands fail due to excess iron oxide. Possible that's why there is no limit published.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Out of curiosity why are ECM circulators more prone to failure due to iron oxide than traditional circulators?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,218
    Options
    True the pump manufacturers are addressing this potential condition.

Maybe a screen will slow then problem, I think IF you have iron ferrite in the system the screen will just plug eventually and move the problem. The stuff i have removed is a powder consistency. Take a pocket knife and sharpen a pencil, it's that type of consistency.

I have seen wet rotor circs fail at then rear bearing from lack of system fluid to keep it lubricated. Install one with the motor facing straight up, with an air bubble trapped, and see how long it will last. It needs to be fluid lubed.

It's no different than a Y strainer, once the strainer plugs, all the components it protects will feel the effect.

I'm not blaming the pumps it a fluid related problem, been in some systems since the entrance of PE tube is my suspicion. It just didn't present in the PSC type motors.

Fluid conditioners with the correct "package' could be part of the solution. Oxygen scavengers are intended to prevent the formation of the iron ferrite. Coating any ferrous components with the film provider component in hydronic conditioners should help. These chemicals will need to be checked and maintained, and boosted from time to time, especially in the open OWF devices, they suck. O2 that is.

Any time you pull a circ from the volute, scratch the impeller deposit with your knife. If it sticks to a magnet, guess what!!

Fluid quality will be the next "big" think addressed in our industry. It needs to be.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Thompson (Taco)
    Options
    Wow - good posts guys. Couple of observations...

100% correct excessive iron oxide is probably a bad sign - systems rotting out from the inside out - probably caused by excessive air (but could be a PH issue or excessive water velocity). Challenge is what is excessive oxide

The only magnet in a non-ECM circ is the magnetic field the stator generates that grabs the "nails" in the rotor, causing the rotor to spin. BTW, iron oxide will cause premature sleeve bearing failure in std wet rotor circs (it's abrasive). Same goes for mechanical sealed circs (premature seal failure) so this awareness is not only for ECM. I just don't like the idea the ECM circ becomes a sacrificial anode, collecting the iron kind of like a magnetic dirt separator.

I'm not an installer but it kind of makes sense to me the better the system fluid the better the system (longer component life and better heat transfer medium).

I've reached out to some of my contacts overseas and will let you all know what they say. ECM's have been around there since 2001 so they have 5 or 6 years of experience ahead of us.