Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hot surface retrofit kit for furnace

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
does anyone know if someone makes a kit to retrofit a furnace with a standing pilot,to hot surface ignition? I am having problems with the pilot staying lit on a Bryant 394had048100 furnace that has an inducer motor,and a standing pilot.The thermocouple is brand new and producing a 20 mv signal,the pilot has no problem staying lit when the furnace is running, the problem is when the inducer first comes on,the neg. pressure creating by the inducer almost draws the pilot out,and sometimes does. I have had similar issues with these furnaces in the past,and carrier has had a service bulletin on these furnaces where a pilot relight kit is recommended to be installed if the problems persists. I have installed those kits,but it is always a trick to mount the new electrode to the existing pilot assembly.I thought that a sure fire way to fix this forever would be to retrofit it for hsi,if such an aftermarket kit exists.Thanks to all.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    IDK if one exists, but it would involve a lot if it does: new gas valve, HSI, ignition control, mounting hardware, wiring harness, etc. And, oh, that little thing called certification.

If Carrier has a kit, that would be the simpler solution.

Is there a pilot adjustment screw? How about using a larger pilot orifice?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    You could probably install an intermittent ignition module with a new electrode/pilot hood. Can you take a picture of the burners? It might be safer to operate with a pilot than a HSI.
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    White Rogers 50E47-843, or Honeywell S89, but then you are into gas valve, HSI, and flame sensor. (like Ironman said).
    Intermittent pilot.. Honeywell S86, gas valve, electrode, pilot burner. (as JStar said)
    Seems like the same time/$ investment.
    Risky to alter existing equipment?
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Installing a HSI will require a new contol board as well.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Carrier has a shield kit that mounted under the inducer motor to prevent your issue. I have made them out of sheet metal after paying I think around $75.00 for the first one.
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Thanks for the response. I see the shield kit listed in the bulletin, it is a special order from carrier. Is that nothing more then a piece of metal that goes on the underside of the inducer's cooling fan?
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    With the age of that furnace, look at the heat exchanger very carefully. They love to crack open! Probably ought to be thinking about replacing rather than putting a bunch of money in a unit beyond it's typical life span.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Yes it is and easily made. It just directs the air from the inducer fan out to the sides instead of down. And it works.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    You can not retrofit any appliance without authorization from the manufacturer in particular to direct spark ignition or hot surface ignition.

The only legal retrofits are from companies like Honeywell and Robertshaw who have a cross reference authorizing changing from standing pilot (thermocouple) to spark ignition intermittent pilot. They both self a retrofit kit for that purpose. The kit plus labor is expensive and typically not worth it.