Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

propane related stuff

JesseR
JesseR Member Posts: 4
Hello,

I’m looking for some feedback and guidance on a project to install propane for use with some equipment.

Help me understand some of the general practices so I can know what to expect from the installer and to make sure I get it right the first time.

Is it true that there is a regulator at the tank and then is there an additional regulator for each place that the line connects to a propane using device?

I read that some regulators can be noisy. I don’t know if this is true. Are there some makes/brands which are preferred for quiet operation?

My short term project is to connect a smaller direct vent free standing gas stove and also a BBQ. Due to a lot of snow on the ground, for this winter I plan to use a 100 lb tank.

Next summer I will replace this tank with a larger tank, which will be located away from the house. Once the larger tank is in, I may add other propane using resources, including a tankless water heater, another stove, and possibly a furnace. Is there anything I should do for the first part of this project that will help with future parts?

Thanks for the time and feedback!

JesseR.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Generally you have a regulator on the tank that reduces the tank pressure to the outdoor line pressure. You then have a regulator on the outside of the house that reduces the pressure to very low pressure (less than 1 psi). The gas lines within the house are sized based on the appliances you intend to install. In many areas a gas pipe fitter will install and test the piping inside the house and the propane supplier is responsible for the tanks, lines and regulators outside the house.
    Hope that helps,
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Most States require that gas installers be licensed or certified. Ones that don't are usually "Anti-Government" states that want everyone to have the freedom to install crap. If anyone is in the business of installing LP equipment, be sure that they are insured to be doing so. Liability insurance for LP gas installation and service is expensive. No one in business with liability insurance is going to be cutting any corners. There are big biting teeth around corners. They're supposed to know what they are doing.

If you think that you would like to do it yourself because you are handy, AHJ/Inspectors are loath to explain to non-professionals why their work has failed and don't like to argue. They don't like to argue with we professionals either, but that comes with their territory. They're usually right.
  • JesseR
    Thanks for the comments. If I understand the comment above correctly, there is not a regulator for each gas using device. Is this true?

Are there preferred brands of regulators which are designed to be quiet? Human nature being what is, some installers may charge a premium for a lesser quality regulator.....

This will not be a DIY project.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Carl pretty much said it. Typically in residential LP...one regulator outside either at the bottle, or at the house if an underground tank is used. No preference in regulators. ..haven't yet had noise issues if sized right, piped right.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    If the last regulator going into the building is 11", the appliances are usually set for that pressure to run correctly. They don't usually require individual regulators to work properly.

I saw somewhere else where they are allowed to run 2# LP everywhere in a building and use 11# regulators at each fixture or appliance. There are rules about that. In this particular place or places, no one seemed to care how it was done. The people discussing this particular situation were appalled at what was allowed to be done. That's why I said that a licensed local installer is more aware of what is allowed or not allowed in your area than anyone particular person here might know.
  • JesseR
    Thanks for the added comments. I spoke with some area tank installers/propane suppliers today and they provided an option I didn’t know about. They said they can put a ~100 gallon tank next to the house and someone will do the inside and outside pipe install along with the tank. After the ground thaws next spring I can set up a preferable location further away from the house and move or replace the tank at that time. That is good news and if there are noise issues i'll just have to deal with it then. i'll ask about the need for regulators at each location when someone is at the house.

Not entirely related, i was kind of surprised at the different costs quoted for propane.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Regulators used on Propane are of very high quality and are not noisy. With the 100lb cyclinder you will have one regulator on the cyclinder which reduces pressure from pounds pressure to 11 " W.C. (water column) less that 1/2 a pound pressure. A pound of pressure equals 27.7" W.C.

Each appliance may also have a pressure regulator depending on design.

If you are planning to add equipment later then bring that to the attention of the piping installer so they can size the piping large enough for future use with added equipment.

What are of the country are you located in? There are small booklets that Fisher and REGO have which explain all about LP installations. If you can't get hold of one then e-mail me at gastc@cox.net and I will postal mail you one.
  • JesseR
    ^Thank you for that very informative post!

I used the Fisher and REGO names you provided in a search and they returned a lot of very useful and educational information, with the one at the following link being the best I’ve come across so far: http://www.regoproducts.com/pdfs/L-545_Servicemans_Manual.pdf

Have only started reading and it is the most comprehensive reference I’ve encountered. I’ll look up more of their offerings.

In answer to your question about my location, I’m in western Washington State.