Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

For the DIY:

icesailor
icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
edited December 2014 in Gas Heating
For the DIY: Everything you need to fix your faulty gas furnace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_oCjTzWaH4&app=desktop

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Seriously, He needs to hire a Pro!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669
    Is it common to have a forced air furnace OUTSIDE?

Has anyone responded to him on youtube yet?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • icesailor
    edited December 2014
    Actually, there's a huge discussion of this at HVAC-Talk on The Wall Of Shame. The guy has quite an attitude about it all. Last I looked, there were over 45 comments.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1682401-Manual-Ignition/page4
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    He's a soon to be candidate for a Darwin Award!

As Frank would say "you can't fix stupid".
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    I just hope he doesn't take his family with him.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    BobC said:

I just hope he doesn't take his family with him.

Bob

Me too.

The sad thing is though: "everything brings forth after its own kind" - Genesis 1. His offspring will likely be just as lacking in common sense as he is.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    WOW There are a lot of things I will tackle DIY style, but only things I have KNOWLEDGE of. This guy admittedly doesn't know what he is looking at and lighting gas burners with chop sticks and bypassing safety devices?! OMG...I am truly at a loss. He doesn't even know enough about a gas appliance to have a proper respect/fear of it. I guess he checks for gas leaks with a lit match too.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Really??
  • icesailor
    The worst part is that he admits that he doesn't know or understand what's wrong, and he is asking for help on a DIY forum.
  • Gordy
    He will be in good hands there.
  • icesailor
    Gordy said:

He will be in good hands there.

He's already arguing with the knowledgeable ones there about why their suggestions are wrong and his ideas are right.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    looks like they took the video down.... scary stuff. Reminds me of a post someone had a few years back (scott ebels?) where the guy by-passed the gas valve w/ a garden hose and was lighting the boiler w a match.
    icesailor
  • icesailor
    Like the guy I posted abut that was lighting off his oil burner with a rolled up newspaper page dipped in Gasoline. No photos, just what he did.

He's smart. We're not.

Good thing you can't light gas water heaters with bad pilots by taping the button down with duct tape and using rolled up newspapers soaked in Kero or gasoline to light them.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    kcopp said:

looks like they took the video down.

No takedown, unfortunately -- It just got marked as Private, so unless you're nice to the owner you can't watch.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    If he had been a true professional he would have known to keep the tips of his chopsticks soaked in gasoline at least thirty minutes prior to manually igniting his furnace! Where do these guys get off thinking that they know how to use chopsticks! Oy Vey!
    Gordy
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Chopsticks made me think of Chinese, and since we are talking about a furnace, well... Here is how you write furnace, in Chinese, 爐

Notice the stick man with his hands in the air and the ax stuck in the top of the furnace. Apparently their furnaces are a source of widespread contention, that they would be depicted as such in their language.
    icesailorGordySWEIZman
  • icesailor
    I gave you a "Insightful". I would have given you a "Awsome" too but I had to choose. The Wall will only allow one per comment.
  • Gordy
    Done