Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vaporstat Settings after change over from nonfunctioning Pressuretrol

Options
Added low pressure gauge and vapostat on Tee after syphon. Confused about vaporstat settings because different units from Pressuretrol noted. My settings on Pressuretrol were Main 0.5 psi Diff 1.5 psi with subtractive of 1 psi.
What should settings on Vapostat be set?

Comments

• rrwitherspoon
    rrwitherspoon Member Posts: 104
    Options
    I have a one pipe steam system with a Burnham Independence steam boiler IN7. Seems to be short cycling. Going up to 1 PSI and then turning off.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Two different topics in here...

Generally I would suggest a one pie steam system run more or less at the settings which were on your old pressurestat. Is your new vapourstat 0 to 16 ounces or 0 to 4 psi? Both kinds are available. If 0 to 16 ounces, try a cutout at 14 ounces and a differential 0 8. If it is 0 to 4 psi, try a cutout of 1.5 psi and a cutin of .5 psi.

Going up to the cutout and shutting off can happen in three different situations: very poor or non-existent main venting, recovery from a deep setback, or an oversized boiler. We'd need a lot more information about your system to make a guess as to what you are looking at here.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • rrwitherspoon
    Options
    I have the L408J1017 model. The units for the diff and main are different . The Diff has units of oz per sq inch and kPa. The main
    has PSI and kPa. So the units they share are kPa Kilopascals I guess. So which is cutin the main or the diff?
  • rrwitherspoon
    Options
    It was a deep setback and the system could use better venting.
    Oversized I am not sure. 210k Btu's 9 rads ; 2 are the tall big ones
    2 long short ones and rest pretty small. Will receive more main vents from supplyhouse in AM. I will have 3 Gorton 1 antler and 1Gorton 2 vent after finish. Currently just 1 gorton 1 per main.
    If you could give settings in kPa it would help. Thank you
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    My references show that vapourstat as a 0 to 4psi model. The main scale (on the right) should be set to about 1.5 psi. The differential is subtractive, and should be set to about 14 ounces, if that is what it is calibrated in.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    You won't know if your boiling is oversized without measuring the EDR of all your radiators. It's a good figure to know. also how big and how long are your mains?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • rrwitherspoon
    Options
    ok Will do