Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas pipe reservoir before generator?

RLuck
RLuck Member Posts: 24
Called a customer to tell him I can't get him the btus he needs for a generator he wants to install in warehouse. if you factor in just the generator you would be ok, but obviously there are a few large spaceheaters along the way to the back of the building. It is about 250 ft of 2"-1 1/4". He responded that another contractor told him he would use a length of 3" right before the generator. Is there a code or chart to size this, or is he just guessing/hoping he will be ok. I'm not interested in running 250 ft back to the meter 25 ' in the air and I'm sure he doesn want you to pay for that anyway.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I have heard (never seen) of using a larger chamber before the fixture as a dump load to start the equipment but the piping must still be sized for the maximum load. Is it possible to increase the pressure and install regulators at the appliances?
  • RLuck
    RLuck Member Posts: 24
    The utility said only if the generator called for it, but it is going to be a small generator to run a little office area. Or they can install a second meter to supply higher than normal press at 100 percent of cost to the customer. The heat won't even be hooked up to the generator, but you never know what happens once you leave and code calls for 100percent of load.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Sounds like someone has a very active imagination.
    What you may be able to do is increase the pressure in the main to 2# then put regulators on each appliance to reduce the pressure.
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Can you post pipe sizes, lengths of run to each fixture, BTU's of the units, outlet pressure for the fixtures and what the supply pressure is. There is more than one way to skin a cat and if you can supply minimum operating pressure to the units you may be OK. A drawing would be great.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    How many KW's is this Gen-Set? You said "" The utility said only if the generator called for it, but it is going to be a small generator to run a little office area. "".

What's the load of the small room?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Many times when we could not get adequate volume of gas to a generator we would enlarge the piping for the last ten feet or so to the generator.