Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low water cut off turned boiler off but auto feed did not happen

Glass 1/3 full but still above lowest mark on boiler. The thermostat calling for heat...red light on LWCO blinking turned boiler off. Dot after numbers on programmable water feed comes on but no automatic feed water given. Boiler comes on again and cycle repeats itself. Shouldn't the programmable water feed stop this cycling and satisfy good water level

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    What kind of water feeder? Some feeders have a strainer that needs to be cleaned periodically.
  • rrwitherspoon
    rrwitherspoon Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2014
    programmable water feeder hydrolevel company VXT-24
    I had to manually push feeder button myself to give water to stop boiler cycling off
    Turned off boiler twice before I decided to feed myself fter boiler cooldown as not to crack boiler
  • Abracadabra
    Not very familiar with the VXTs, since I use MM LWCO and feeders, but what is the feed delay set for? From the manual
    A small indicating light in the lower right hand corner of the digital feed counter illuminates whenever the low
    water cut-off is calling for a feed. The light remains on for the duration of the call from the cut-off regardless of
    the mode the feeder is in (delay, feed or lock-out). The light turns off when the cut-off is satisfied and stops
    calling for a feed.
    Maybe it's in lockout or delay?
  • rrwitherspoon
    ok I will ask tech to check that
    Does the LWCO sensor need cleaning with yearly maintenance?
    It is a Mcdonnell White unit.
  • rrwitherspoon
    opps McDonnell miller
  • rrwitherspoon
    Says right on front of unit that it should be inspected and cleaned annually but tech said it did not require this because
    it has a stirrer in it that keeps crude off??? Why would he say that if it says otherwise?
  • rrwitherspoon
    He said he would only inspect it if there was an issue but it seems he should he inspect annually so there will be no issue
    I do not want to lose this expensive boiler
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I think another question is, "Why does it turn off on low water?" Perhaps you have slow wet returns due to sludge build-up. If so do you have a way to clean them out? Has the boiler been WELL skimmed? While you obviously want the water-feed to work properly, the introduction of excess fresh water is the surest way to lose that expensive boiler.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Did you have to feed water to get the system to turn back on? It doesn't sound like it from your original prompt. If that is the case, it sounds to me as though the LWCO and feeder may be working correctly. There is sometimes a delay on the feed set on those feeders, to prevent feeding and consequent flooding of the boiler in the event the problem is slow returns or water backing out of the boiler under pressure. Check that all first before assuming that the feeder is the problem -- don"t shoot the messenger!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • rrwitherspoon
    Yes, I think the sludge filled condensate was the issue. I made the system call for heat sitting and watching boiler control behavior and I was able to hear sludge condensate return to pipe and drop off into boiler or lower pipe. That was incredible to hear. It was pretty loud. The LWCO and auto feeder now behaving normally ie no flashing red light. The pressure issues
    seem to e resolved also. Pressure stays below 1 psi.Should I do something about the sludge.
  • Abracadabra

Says right on front of unit that it should be inspected and cleaned annually but tech said it did not require this because
    it has a stirrer in it that keeps crude off??? Why would he say that if it says otherwise?

Heh..

1 - stirrer = strainer?
    2 - strainer needs periodic maintainance.
    3 - what kind of a "tech" was this?

• Abracadabra

Should I do something about the sludge.

Yes, clean the sludge out.
  • rrwitherspoon
    Oh some confusion. I want to be clear.The Mcdonnell- Miller LWCO says that the probe should be inspected annually and clean if needed. The tech from Plumbing and Heating Company during yearly maintanence says he only inspects probe if there is something wrong with it. Does not seem interested in preventative manitanence only replacement.
  • rrwitherspoon
    how does one clean sludge out of one pipe steam system?
    I have book The Lost Art does not describe how to remove sludge from piping.
  • rrwitherspoon
    Sorry two conversations here LWCO maintenance and sludge in pipes.
  • Abracadabra

how does one clean sludge out of one pipe steam system?
    I have book The Lost Art does not describe how to remove sludge from piping.

Open up sections as needed and wash out with a hose.

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722

Does not seem interested in preventative manitanence only replacement.

And they make more money on replacements because they are not doing proper maintenance which causes equipment failure sooner. Preventative maintenance is never a bad idea and any "mechanic" that thinks otherwise is not a mechanic. Oh that's right they are "Techs". No offense to anyone intended I just get tired of people either being taught to do bad work or just doing it on their own.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • rrwitherspoon
    Yes I am getting that impression
    I do not know what to do.
    I am happy with standing pilot.They are trying to convince me to get electronic ignition but I think that just sets me up for more issues.
    My heating bill is good since I switched from oil to gas unit. I do not think it uses a lot of energy.